Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clamp Force Security Coefficient

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
karelkalip
1123 Views, 5 Replies

Clamp Force Security Coefficient

Hello everyone,

Is there any security coefficient for clamp force calculation inside moldflow, or should we muttiply with some number.

I have heard somewhere about multiply with  1.2 but i could not be sure.

Best regards.

Levent

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Shawn_Gedman
in reply to: karelkalip

Hello Levent,

I'd be glad to help with your inquiry, but I'm not familiar with what a "Security Coefficient" would be so could you please explain further?  Are you referring to a Safety Factor that you might want to use when sizing an injection molding machine for your part?

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 3 of 6
karelkalip
in reply to: Shawn_Gedman

Dear Shawn,

Securty factor is the right term 🙂 I am doubting about clamp force. Moldflow calculated 1470 t, and machine capacity is 1500 t.  Is this secure that using this machine, or should i multiply 1470 with 1.2 (security factor) like 1760 t and use different enj. machine?

Message 4 of 6
Shawn_Gedman

Hello,

I commonly refer to this as a Safety Factor, but I now understand what you are looking for.  We do not add a Security/Safety Factor in the clamp force calculations.  The solver basically calculates the pressures and surface area in the XY plane and then multiplies the two to derive the clamp force prediction.  It would be up to the engineer to size the machine based off of the clamp force predictions, but a general rule of thumb would be to not exceed 80% of the machines maximum clamp force.  For example, you probably would not want to go higher than 80 ton on a 100 ton press.  Some might push this limit a little further, but then you're not leaving yourself much of a window.

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 5 of 6
nicola.pavan
in reply to: Shawn_Gedman

Hi Karel Kapil,

nice to meet you again...

I agree with Shawn, Safety Factor could span within 80% up to 90% of the force of your machine. It depends just on how much you're confident with your model. Morevoer it depends also on the machine, an old machine probably has a worse control on clamping force respect to a bran new one.

Message 6 of 6
madhukeshwart

we generally term it as FACTOR OF SAFETY.

1. It is best recommended is 20 % more than moldflow calculated.

2.Some times, moldflow over predicts, when there are undercut, side cores & slides, then recommneded  20% to 30 % less moldflow calculated, depends upon overlapping projected ares.

3. when doing moldflow for stack molds, it can 40 % less than moldflow calculated.

4. Even if early switch over is done, it can 10 % more than moldflow calculated.

It all depends are case to case basis.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report