Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D mesh x Dual domain mesh

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
andreeccel
1377 Views, 10 Replies

3D mesh x Dual domain mesh

Hello,

I'm working with a specymen and Ive made the simulation with a 3D mesh and a Dual domain mesh. Both the mesh follow the mesh criterias of the Moldflow. The problem is that the cycle time result of the 3D mesh is 45% higher.

Anyone know why is that happenning?

Thanks,

André Eccel Vellwock

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
nishit78
in reply to: andreeccel

Check the thickness diagnostic in Dual domain and make sure it does not under-estimate the thickness distribution. For example the place where two wall intersect is actually a thick area but dual domain may underestimate the thickness. Whle the 3D mesh will more accurately estimate the true volume.

I'd trust 3D more, in general.

That being said, in reality the may be able to eject the part sooner that the 3D estimates if the wall is adequately rigid.

Message 3 of 11
andreeccel
in reply to: nishit78

Thanks for your answer.

I dont have this problem because the thickness of the wall is constant.

You can see in the printscreen attched that the part is very simple, so the dual domain's volume is the same as the 3D's.

Message 4 of 11
nishit78

I'd still check the thickness diagnostic for Dual-Domain just to be sure that the thickness assignments are not faulty.

Other than that, i can only advise to re-check you process parameters and resin data between the two different setups.

Perhaps you could also see which area is controlling the cooling time in both the setup and narrow down your problem area.

Message 5 of 11
nordhb
in reply to: nishit78

Hi,

looking at the picture of specimen part, the thinner passage is almost quadratic in cross section.
Then, the mesh will be too coarse for 3D tetras.
Have a look of mesh inside.

A finer mesh overall, and maybe and some layers for 3D (default 6, maybe change to 8 or 10).
This should improve the result.

3D mesh coarse vs fine.jpg

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 6 of 11
andreeccel
in reply to: nordhb

Thanks for the reply.

I've improved the mesh quality for the 3D but the cycle time havent changed.

And the thickness is OK in the dual domain mesh.

Message 7 of 11
John_Holtz

Hi,

I am not a Moldflow user nor an injection molding engineer, so someone please correct me if I am wrong. I think the part is not suitable for the dual domain analysis. The documentation says that one requirement for dual domain is "the minimum length and width of any local region should be greater than four times the local thickness. A more conservative estimate of ten time the thickness ensures more accurate results".

I believe the dual domain analysis does not consider some (or any?) effects along the edge of the model, so the resin flows more easily through the narrow section in the dual domain analysis than it does in reality.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 8 of 11
andreeccel
in reply to: John_Holtz

Sorry, in what documentation have you found this?

I checked in the Moldflow 2011 and the recommendation that Ive found is:

Dual domain mesh -" These layers enable an accurate representation of thin, cross-sectioned parts, where there is a rapidly changing characteristic profile, for example, temperature and flow-front velocity."

But Ive found another interesting thing, check the printscreen, that can be the answer for this.

Actually, the software is prediciting a heat loss in the z direction (the thickness direction). It can be estimating uncorrectly. If this has a relation with the thickness, I cant afirm, because i dont know how the software calculate this heat loss in z direction.

Message 9 of 11
andreeccel

Refreshing:

Ive tried to rotate all the model to see if there is a relation with the coordinate system, but nothing happenned.

Message 10 of 11
John_Holtz

Hi,

The passage that I found is from the online 2012 Help: "Choosing an analysis technology".

I presume the passage about estimating the heat losses in the "Z" direction are referring to a local coordinate system where X and Y are in the plane of the element and Z is perpendicular. I would be very surprised if it was referring to the global X, Y, Z directions. So rotating the model should not change the results.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 11 of 11
andreeccel
in reply to: John_Holtz

I would be very surprised too. But Im trying everything now.

So I also changed the local coordinate system, but the cycle time is still the same.

I think I will agree with you and accept that the simulation with the 3D msh is better and more reliable.

Thanks again,

André Eccel Vellwock

Undergraduate student, Mechanical Engineering, UFSC

Researcher, CIMJECT

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report