Discussion Groups

Simulation Moldflow Insight

Contributor
Adam.Mayes

3D mesh in moldflow 2015

385 Views, 17 Replies
04-21-2014 01:01 PM

Hello all,

Just installed 2015. Opened an existing file and continued to work on a project. When I tried to re-mesh a dual domain model into 3d I got an error saying that there were surface errors and the mesh failed. Mesh diagnostics show no errors. Mesh repair wizard finds no issues. This is a model that has already been repaired/optimized and ran various simulations.

I opened the same dual domain file in 2014 and re-meshed to 3D. No errors, no problem?

Confused!!

Adam

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xusho

Re: 3D mesh in moldflow 2015

04-21-2014 07:13 PM in reply to: Adam.Mayes

Hello Adam,

I am the developer for Moldflow meshing in Melbourne.

Could you please send me your dual domain mesh.

Regards

Shoudong Xu

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
JayMuller

04-22-2014 12:39 AM in reply to: Adam.Mayes

Dear Adam,

Got the same bug...just remove your injection cone for 3d meshing and it would work.

With injection cone, it won`t mesh BUT if you change to legacy mode, Log shows you (everytime you start meshing, 3 new nodes that have errors).

I passed some of those errors by sending all elements onto a new layer...tried it here..no chance..but deleting the cone was it.

Regards,

Jay

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Adam.Mayes

04-22-2014 05:22 AM in reply to: JayMuller

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the help. Deleted the injection cone and it worked no problem. I wonder what happens if there is a feed system.

Mold flow is asking me to send my dual domain model but I think this is a bug like you said. I know its not the model besause I tried it on a few different models with the same result.

I am going to test it with a runner in place and see what happens. Where do you find legacy mode?

Regards,

Adam

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Adam.Mayes

04-22-2014 05:36 AM in reply to: Adam.Mayes

Jay,

Just answered my own question. It will not mesh from DD to 3D if there is a feed system present even if its on another layer.

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
JayMuller

04-22-2014 06:16 AM in reply to: Adam.Mayes

Dear Adam,

I'm happy that I could help you with that - worked as a beta tester part time during university and I think it wasn't that bad afterwards.

[But I am NOT working for Autodesk - now I wait for an service pack from the engineer answered above]

Still owe you an answer:  Legacy (I only use it to find mesh defects that can't be seen in statistics when meshing fails because its an old fashioned way ]

3D Mesh - generate mesh - 2nd tap "Tetra" - 3D mesher (dropdown menue) - Standard "Advancing front" but changeable to "Legacy".

Hope that helps, too.

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
JayMuller

04-23-2014 02:36 AM in reply to: JayMuller

Dear Xu (hope that was the right first name),

Why can't I see your message in here???

"

Hi Adam/Jay,

Would you be able to reproduce the problem with a simple Dual Domain mesh?

If yes, would helpful if you could send me the input file.

It will be fixed as a service pack if it happens. However, the first thing is I need to reproduce the problem.

I have tried to generate a 3D mesh from a Dual Domain mesh with injection cones, but it did not fail.

On the other hand, if the problem is related to injection cones, you can tune off a checkbox "Apply extra refinement near gates"

When you see error messages by Legacy mesher, what did it say?

"

Now everyone can read.

I have my super special Moldflow destroyer file testet on this issue AND same bug - a simple roman number one, the same I send Autodesk for years because MF is not capable to show sink marks here. On a capital T it shows.

To your questions: Extra refinement is OFF - just meshing with those parameters: Global edge...2mm / Merge tol 0,1 / Match mesh checked / refinement unchecked - Advancing front 6mm and 1.2mm automatic opt. - both surface checked, without biasing, smooth all nodes. (Quite a standard setting)

Legacy mesher tells me 3 nodes are not connected...I selected them, corrected them (can't see any defects), re-started meshing...same Error with 3 different nodes...played that game 5 times.

Please tell me your results on my file!

Regards,

Jay

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Adam.Mayes

04-23-2014 06:48 AM in reply to: JayMuller
Hi there,
Do you just want the study file. If so I can send to you. I have tried with multiple models with the same result. Turning off the injection cone eliminates the problem. I also removed the injection cone and replaced it with a simple cold gate. The problem came back. It will not let me change from a DD mesh to 3D mesh with any type of injection cone OR feed system in place.
Please let me know and I can send you ant files you require.

Best regards

Adam Mayes
Technical Manager-Plastics
Armada Toolworks
6 L.O.F. Drive
Lindsay On. K9V 4S5
Tel. 705 328 9599 ext.291
Fax 705 328 9718
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xusho

04-23-2014 05:07 PM in reply to: Adam.Mayes

Hi Adam/Jay,

Thanks for the file.

I have tested on 3 machines but still could not reproduce the problem.

Could you please give me more details:

Your installed version?

Your Operating System?

Your procedures?

Would be helpful if you can send me the mesh log. Just copy and paste from log window.

My email address is:  Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com. Feel free to send me emails.

Regards

Shoudong

Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
mayur_dhumal

04-23-2014 10:08 PM in reply to: xusho
Hello Xu,

There might be chance that this problem may have solved in early 2015 pre-release, hence you could not reproduce it.

Regards,
Mayur
Please use plain text.