Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D mesh in moldflow 2015

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Adam.Mayes
1356 Views, 21 Replies

3D mesh in moldflow 2015

Hello all,

Just installed 2015. Opened an existing file and continued to work on a project. When I tried to re-mesh a dual domain model into 3d I got an error saying that there were surface errors and the mesh failed. Mesh diagnostics show no errors. Mesh repair wizard finds no issues. This is a model that has already been repaired/optimized and ran various simulations.

I opened the same dual domain file in 2014 and re-meshed to 3D. No errors, no problem?

Confused!!

Adam

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
xusho
in reply to: Adam.Mayes

Hello Adam,

I am the developer for Moldflow meshing in Melbourne.

Could you please send me your dual domain mesh.

Regards

Shoudong Xu

Shoudong Xu
Autodesk Moldflow Meshing
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 22
JayMuller

Dear Adam,

Got the same bug...just remove your injection cone for 3d meshing and it would work.

With injection cone, it won`t mesh BUT if you change to legacy mode, Log shows you (everytime you start meshing, 3 new nodes that have errors).

I passed some of those errors by sending all elements onto a new layer...tried it here..no chance..but deleting the cone was it.

Regards,

Jay

Message 4 of 22
Adam.Mayes
in reply to: JayMuller

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the help. Deleted the injection cone and it worked no problem. I wonder what happens if there is a feed system.

Mold flow is asking me to send my dual domain model but I think this is a bug like you said. I know its not the model besause I tried it on a few different models with the same result.

I am going to test it with a runner in place and see what happens. Where do you find legacy mode?

Regards,

Adam

Message 5 of 22
Adam.Mayes

Jay,

Just answered my own question. It will not mesh from DD to 3D if there is a feed system present even if its on another layer.

Message 6 of 22
JayMuller

Dear Adam,

I'm happy that I could help you with that - worked as a beta tester part time during university and I think it wasn't that bad afterwards.

[But I am NOT working for Autodesk - now I wait for an service pack from the engineer answered above]

Still owe you an answer:  Legacy (I only use it to find mesh defects that can't be seen in statistics when meshing fails because its an old fashioned way ]

3D Mesh - generate mesh - 2nd tap "Tetra" - 3D mesher (dropdown menue) - Standard "Advancing front" but changeable to "Legacy".

Hope that helps, too.

Message 7 of 22
JayMuller

Dear Xu (hope that was the right first name),

Why can't I see your message in here???

"

Hi Adam/Jay,

Would you be able to reproduce the problem with a simple Dual Domain mesh?

If yes, would helpful if you could send me the input file.

It will be fixed as a service pack if it happens. However, the first thing is I need to reproduce the problem.

I have tried to generate a 3D mesh from a Dual Domain mesh with injection cones, but it did not fail.

On the other hand, if the problem is related to injection cones, you can tune off a checkbox "Apply extra refinement near gates"

When you see error messages by Legacy mesher, what did it say?

"

Now everyone can read.

I have my super special Moldflow destroyer file testet on this issue AND same bug - a simple roman number one, the same I send Autodesk for years because MF is not capable to show sink marks here. On a capital T it shows.

To your questions: Extra refinement is OFF - just meshing with those parameters: Global edge...2mm / Merge tol 0,1 / Match mesh checked / refinement unchecked - Advancing front 6mm and 1.2mm automatic opt. - both surface checked, without biasing, smooth all nodes. (Quite a standard setting)

Legacy mesher tells me 3 nodes are not connected...I selected them, corrected them (can't see any defects), re-started meshing...same Error with 3 different nodes...played that game 5 times.

Please tell me your results on my file!

Regards,

Jay

Message 8 of 22
Adam.Mayes

Hi there,
Do you just want the study file. If so I can send to you. I have tried with multiple models with the same result. Turning off the injection cone eliminates the problem. I also removed the injection cone and replaced it with a simple cold gate. The problem came back. It will not let me change from a DD mesh to 3D mesh with any type of injection cone OR feed system in place.
Please let me know and I can send you ant files you require.

Best regards

Adam Mayes
Technical Manager-Plastics
Armada Toolworks
6 L.O.F. Drive
Lindsay On. K9V 4S5
Tel. 705 328 9599 ext.291
Fax 705 328 9718
Message 9 of 22
xusho

Hi Adam/Jay,

Thanks for the file.

I have tested on 3 machines but still could not reproduce the problem.

Could you please give me more details:

Your installed version?

Your Operating System?

Your procedures?

Would be helpful if you can send me the mesh log. Just copy and paste from log window.

My email address is:  Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com. Feel free to send me emails.

Regards

Shoudong

Shoudong Xu
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 10 of 22
mayur_dhumal
in reply to: xusho

Hello Xu,

There might be chance that this problem may have solved in early 2015 pre-release, hence you could not reproduce it.

Regards,
Mayur
Message 11 of 22
JayMuller
in reply to: mayur_dhumal

I GOT IT!!!

It is the checkbox "place mesh in active layer" - if checked ERROR...If not WORKING even with injection cone!

Regards,

JAY

Message 12 of 22
mayur_dhumal

Hi Jay/Xu,

Yes, I am able to reproduce your problem.

I will take a look at it & will provide Steps to reproduce it as well.

Thanks,
Mayur
Message 13 of 22
mayur_dhumal

Hi Xu,

Ball is in your court now.

Steps to reproduce the Bug –

1) Start Insight+Synergy 2015.
2) Import any model & mesh in Dual Domain. After successfully completing the DD mesh, change the 'Mesh Type' to 3D.
3) Now Generate mesh with 'Place mesh in active layer', solver will try to mesh it but 3D meshing failed.
4) Following was the error message in logs:

** ERROR 1900128 ** 3D meshing has failed for this component due to surface defects.

** ERROR 1900125 ** 3D meshing not completed due to surface errors. Please do the following steps:
(1) Find unmeshed components by turning off all the layers for tetras and corresponding input entities;
(2) If meshing starts from CAD or STL models, mesh those components into triangles
by clicking checkbox "Stop after surface mesh generation" on General tab before clicking Mesh Now.
(3) Check surface mesh defects by mesh diagnostic tools and fix them manually.
Typical defects can be free edges, non-manifolding edges or intersections.
(4) Once surface errors are fixed, launch meshing again to generate 3D meshes.
Make sure meshed entities and corresponding tetras should be invisible.

Regards,
Mayur
Message 14 of 22
mayur_dhumal

Hi,

One more thing, Also can you please see if 'non-manifolding' is the correct term used in the point 3 of error message.

Thanks,
Mayur
Message 15 of 22
xusho

Hi Jay/Adam,

Now I can reproduce the error by turning on "Place mesh in active layer".

Will fix shortly.

Thank you both very much for finding this problem.

Regards

Shoudong

Shoudong Xu
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com
Message 16 of 22
JayMuller
in reply to: xusho

Hi ALL,

nice to read.  This would be the   "Adam-Jay-ASMI2015-HotFix"

Adam..we should insist on this 😉  [much cooler than KUDOS]

Regards,

Jay

Let's call it a day

Message 17 of 22
raalteh

First of all; Jay and Adam, thank you for the persistence in helping us identify the exact issue.

As you know there is a standard/boring naming conventions for hotfixes, but I can assure you we internally will refer to this as the "Adam-Jay-ASMI2015 meshing bug", or the more convenient acronym ajasmi2015mb.
Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 18 of 22
Adam.Mayes
in reply to: raalteh

Thanks everyone for your input. Special thanks to Jay.

We are honoured to have a bug named after us!

Regards,

Adam

Message 19 of 22
mike.yakonich

hi guys.

has this issue been solved in 2015 insight version?

i got this error. should i just remove the injection cone and mesh the mold?

Message 20 of 22
xusho
in reply to: mike.yakonich

Hi,

This problem has been fixed in Moldflow 2015 SP1.

If you have 2015 release, just make sure to install SP1 or SP2.

Thanks to Adam and Jay for reporting this bug.

Shoudong Xu
Shoudong.Xu@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report