Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 shot molding

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
HugoHerrera7042
637 Views, 2 Replies

3 shot molding

Hi,

I have a 3 shot part (black, red and clear) to evaluate...plan to make 3 isolated analysis, also an insert molding analysis considering the first 2 shots as plastic inserts at whatever the part temperature at EOP is from the isolated analysis.

is there an overmolding type of analysis for a 3-shot molding part? or what is your best approach for these type of parts?

thanks,

Hugo Herrera

VLSM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
raalteh
in reply to: HugoHerrera7042

Hi Hugo,

At the moment it's not possible to do a 3 shot overmolding in Moldflow (2 is the maximum), so the approach you suggest is probably reasonable. More than 2 shot overmolding has been requested before as an enhancement of the current 2 shot overmolding process.

Without seeing the actual part, I can't see if it makes sense or not, but you could consider doing two 'two shot overmoldings' simulations to see if the overmolding of one component over another actually has an important influence or not.

Are the two materials actually physically different (beyond 'just' the color?). It the materials are more or less the same you could consider doing a two shot overmolding process, with two of the materials being the same material (where in reality they may be differently colored). Just an idea.

Hope this helps.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
HugoHerrera7042
in reply to: raalteh

thanks Hanno, you are right, since it is a 3 color, but 2 station process, with same material, i can actually model the first station as the 1st shot and the 2nd station as the 2nd shots...i got kind of carried away with the 3 color issue...

thank you for the fresh eyes,

Hugo Herrera

VLSM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report