Moldflow Adviser Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Adviser Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Adviser topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stalling / freeze at "import model"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1067 Views, 5 Replies

Stalling / freeze at "import model"

Hi - does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix?

Sometimes when importing a new model into an existing study, my AMA2011 stalls after selecting the stl file, and just hangs for a minute or two. - sometimes it dies completely and i have to kill it from the Task manager.

I first noticed this in 2010, but thought that it was due to running on win7 before win7 was supported by AMA. (win7 Professional x64)

I have just installed AMA 2011 and am getting the same hesitaion- 

2011 has been tested and approved for use on win7(?)

I will post a screen shot the next time it happens-

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Funny thing is that this never happens on the first file imported into a new study, or the first file imported into an existing study after the PC has been re-booted. It is always at or after the second import- or after AMA has been opened more than once for a pc session.

Also, as we mainly focus on flow leader developments, the second import will always be a very similar part model (to what has just been imported fine 10-15 minutes ago- ?) with only minor changes to the geometry, eg a single face thickened-

go figure......

Message 3 of 6
Shawn_Gedman

Hello,

This is not an issue that I have witnessed on a regular basis, so would it be possible to send us the following information?

• Amount of RAM on your machine
  • Amount of RAM the adviser.exe is using when the UI freezes
  • Are you running any other programs that might demand a lot of machine resources
  • Size of the stl file

Thank You,

Shawn

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Shawn-

thanks for the interest -

1- this is a win7 x64 Pro machine with  i7-920 processor and  3x2gb ram.

2- I will try get the  amount of ram in use next time it happens- where do I  get it from ?

3- Other Programs-  - yes Solidworks  but i have had this happen when sw is not running as well-

4- stl model size- doesnt seem to matter- has happened on models as small as 800kb, and as large as 2-3mb- see attatched

## I generate the stls from Solidworks-  as we only have the base package moldflow part advisor component - we dont use design link to get the geometry from SW to AMA - only stl "coarse" format

###  I should add that sometimes the model has actually been imported into the study, and has actually been imported fine after AMA is restarted- as if it had imported fine all along.....?

Message 5 of 6
Shawn_Gedman

Hello Simon,

It seems like you are in contact with your local Support Rep so I will allow him to continue researching your issue at this moment in time.

Thank You,

Shawn 

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Shawn_Gedman

Thanks for the interest Shawn, I am in contact with my support man-

I had posted just to see if anyone else was having this problem- apparently its just me and my machine.......

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report