Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Support for Simulation Mechanical

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JoeZajk4444
1161 Views, 3 Replies

GPU Support for Simulation Mechanical

Is Autodesk working on the ability to use GPU boards in SImulation Mechanical?  I do a lot of Mechanical Event Simulation studies with numerous time steps and wondered if it would help out in that regard.  I have an nVidia Tesla C2050 basically collecting dust in my desktop.  We bought it for ANSYS.....until we read the fine print on ANSYS's stupid policy on having to buy the license per core to use more than 2 cores.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi Joe,

Simulation Mechanical does have support for GPU solve with the AMG-MF solver.

Iterative (AMG-MF): This is a variant of the Iterative (AMG) solver, adapted from Autodesk Moldflow technology. It is best suited for models with relatively thick or fat part volumes and may provide a performance advantage, relative to the Iterative (AMG) solver, for such models. You must manually select this solver; the Automatic option will only use the Iterative (AMG) solver for large models. The Iterative (AMG-MF) solver uses multiple threads/cores when available.

When the Iterative (AMG-MF) solver is selected, an additional option becomes available within the Solution tab of the Analysis Parameters dialog box. Specifically, this solver can take advantage of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) computing, in which the many small cores of the GPU assist with the computation-intensive task. Activate the option, Use the GPU version of the solver, to take advantage of this capability

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: JoeZajk4444

Hi,

Generally speaking, the iterative solver is useful for large-scale "linear problems".  However, if we solve highly-nonlinear problems by using MES, the sparse solver is used for solving problems. If possible, I'd like to request a GPU and/or highly parallel sparse solvers.

Regards,

amatsuda

Message 4 of 4
Sualp.Ozel
in reply to: JoeZajk4444

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report