Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestion reg mesh size

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
madg1
334 Views, 3 Replies

suggestion reg mesh size

In my work, I am required to perform FEA on really long parts and assemblies.say 100 feet hollow square sections  with cross section width 50 inches.And the plate thickness would be 1 inch.so they are really long and thin parts.

Solid meshing is considered.

so my question is there any good rule of thumb to get right mesh size.How many elements would be good across thickness of the plate?

In the above example of cross section if I get min of 3 brick elements thick, the no. of elements would be enormosly large which my comp cannot deal.

any thoughts?

madg1
ASIMM 2012
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Petr.Krysl
in reply to: madg1

20-node bricks used with 2 x 2 x 2 quadrature deal with thin structures quite gracefully.  A single element through the thickness may well be enough.

Petr

Message 3 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: Petr.Krysl

Or use plate elements.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 4 of 4
madg1
in reply to: John_Holtz

john

as Petr mentioned, does so many number of solid elements along thickness doesn't matter much  reg sensitivity of results?

madg1
ASIMM 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report