Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
nmt
Advocate
573 Views, 3 Replies

sub modelling

Hello,

I read something in the thread about fatigue wizard that there is a way to do analysises on sub models in Sim mechanical.

Is there someone who knows about the workflow?

I am aware that it might not be "straight forward", but it is neither in some competitive softwares.

This would be very useful, hope someone have some answers.

Best regards/

H. Nilsson

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
eray.kayar
in reply to: nmt

It is interesting to see that there are no responses on such obvious items. As if there is not anything called submodeling?

There is all the technology to carry it out and still no response.

Message 3 of 4
dharhay
in reply to: nmt

I have heard that sub modeling is not in favor these days.  We have so much computing power, solid modeling is available, etc. that you can make a small model of your area very quickly.  I am sure there are others who can add other reasons.

Dave H
Message 4 of 4
nmt
Advocate
in reply to: dharhay

If you want to do a detailed fatigue analysis of some certain area of a bigger structure, especially welds it is very conveniant to at first run an analysis with a fairly coarse mesh. Then make a sub model of the area of interest, applying deformations from the first run as boundary conditions. To make an analysis according to the effective notch method it requires a fillet radius 1 mm around the weld toes, Furthermore the fillets should have about 5 elements over the radius. This method is well described in litterature. Such analyses would be almost impossible to run directly on a large model witout the sub-modelling approach. My question is how to get the deformations from the first run and correctly apply it to the submodel in the second run. Perhaps by a script? Ansys have had this capability since long ago, after what I have heared also Solidworks (Cosmos) has the capability in its newest release. Best regards / H. Nilsson.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums