Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solar panel analysis (|wind tunneling)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
borikg
1228 Views, 5 Replies

solar panel analysis (|wind tunneling)

does Algor able to under need for wind tunneling analysis. today many structure engineer rely on structure standard, wind loads, for building but until now non of standard able to answer wind loads on pv frame and member structures instead they making analysis for wind load on roofs which is not correct. So if they is any possibility in Algor to make wind tunneling to find aerodynamic coefficients and select (by soft) allowed mounting profiles at determined spans. I am strictly recommend to Autodesk to add this feature.

I suppose Algor is able to evaluate if dead and live loads are allowed for given structure? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joey.X
in reply to: borikg

Yes, Algor Multiphysics CFD can simulate wind through an object , the approach is putting the object in digital wind tunnel for this kind of external flow, note that "wind tunnel" is a simple box or enclosures depending user's preference.

Refer to  tips and two ready to use examples in thread titled as ""CFD for Air Flow Modeling " in this Algor simulation discussion group.

Turning on the reaction force in fluid flow analysis will output reaction force on the object surface, this result data could be used as input in structure analysis as one of the loadings, this is a typical Multiphysics one way coupling from CFD to structure.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 3 of 6
borikg
in reply to: Joey.X

many thanks, i must try it 

Message 4 of 6
shakeel.mirza
in reply to: borikg

Hi,

I would like to share a similar example I did for a customer doing Solar Panels with Algor.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Autodesk+Algor+CFD+Simulation+Airflow&aq=f

let me know if you need more information!

Shakeel

Message 5 of 6
borikg
in reply to: shakeel.mirza

thanks, i saw this movie. the reason i created his topic is because this subject is highly recognized in solar designs. especcialy in large scale pv plant, if designer able to make good analysis of this coefficients, installers will be able to safe on installation costs (up to 20%). the most common approach is to layout large array of pv panels and make CFD, the goal to get values of coeficients on each poin on pv frames. however many ignore it and taking into account only one bigest coefficient for all arrays. i think this is because there is no full software solution for this problem. one, do like to find applicational solution (not analytical) to see where on edges of array you can use reiforced steels and where (in inner array) standard. the solution must be by application whithout making manual calculations of selecting array profiles.

thanks

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: shakeel.mirza

Shakeel,

Would you please zip that file and make it available?  I'm curious about how you set it up.  It appears to be a "panel" method rather than a meshed flow area model.

Thanks,

Patrick Flynn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report