Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unable to run mplexec"

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bjorn_fallqvist
1162 Views, 5 Replies

"Unable to run mplexec"

I'm trying to run a coupled transient fluid flow/heat transfer analysis, and I get the error message

""Unable to run mplexec" in a dialog box. It's the only error I get. What could this be due to? Also, I've been having some problems with a model of mine. It was visible before, but now the parts are entirely invisible in the pre-processor. I've tried showing and hiding them and deactivating and activating them again, but nothing helps. They are visible in the results window, however.

Regards

Björn

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

By the way, I have also installed MPICH2, as the help file says, but it doesn't help.

Message 3 of 6

Does nobody have a solution to this?

This is what the help file says:

Windows Operating System:

1. Download the MPICH2 utilities from http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2/ for the appropriate operating system.
  2. Install the MPICH2 software according to the instructions provided in the installer and on the Web site Or, if MPICH2 has been installed to one computer and needs to be set up on additional computers, the following shortcut method can be used:
    • Copy MPICH2 utilities smpd.exe and mpiexec.exe from the computer with the full installation to a folder on the additional computer. For convenience of these instructions, place the copies in a path like C:\MPICH2\bin.
  3. Make sure the bin folder C:\MPICH2\bin is in the PATH environment variable.
  4. Set a system environment variable ALGOR_MPICH equal to the location where MPICH was installed. For example, ALGOR_MPICH=C:\MPICH2. (This step is only required for distributed computing with the MUMPS solver.)
  5. This step only needs to be done once on each computer. Before attempting to run the analysis, run smpd.exe - install. (smpd.exe is located in the MPICH2\bin folder where ever it was installed.) This can be done with the Windows Start: Run command, or from a command window set to the bin folder.
  6. This step only needs to be done once on each computer. Before attempting to run the analysis, run mpiexec.exe - register (mpiexec.exe is located in the MPICH2\bin folder where the MPICH2 software was installed) and then type in the username and password according the screen prompt. This can be done with the Windows Start: Run command, or from a command window set to the bin folder.

7. I have done all the above steps except for steps 3 and 4. As far as I understand, they are only required if I want to use this on several computers. If not, what PATH environment variable does it mean? Where do I find it and how do I change the variable?
Message 4 of 6

Bjorn,

Step 3 is required for all computers, all situations. So that is probably the step that is stopping your progress.

There are a couple of ways to get to the environment variables, and of course it depends on the operating system (OS). The one I'm most familiar with is right-click on "My Computer" or "Computer", then Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables".

As I said, each OS is a little different, and even the same OS can appear differently depending on how the user has it set up. I searched my Windows Help for "environment variables", "set environment variables", etc, and did not find any hits that seemed appropriate! So, if you are having problems finding them, maybe search the internet. I'm sure someone has a webpage that gives better instructions than the Windows help.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, John. Now it works!

Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I'm having trouble with this again on another computer. I think the program starts, but after verifying the model, it just says "Analysis did not finish. Please see the summary for full details". I've had the same problem with different models that I've tried. What summary? There is no log file created either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report