Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import/open model wrong

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jonathan.gaillard
808 Views, 6 Replies

import/open model wrong

Hey guys, quick question from a beginner.

When I open an inventor (or any other CAD format) in ALGOR, my model is triangulated. Is this normal? I though that ALGOR would retain its primitive elements that built the model until mesh time. As an example of what I mean, if I have a simple spline swept with a circle and open in ALGOR, I get a tube that has sections that look like someone stepped on it.

Attached is what I mean.

Obviously this leads to meshing problems which is why I ask.

Thanks for the help !!!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Algor does import the parametric CAD topology data and retains these primitives for use during mesh time. However, for display purposes it (like many other programs) tesselates the primivitves. For very thin swept out models such as in your picture, sometimes the fast tesselation algorithm we use looks a bit kinked.

Did you actually try meshing the model? The surface mesher uses a different process than the fast tesselator and may produce output that is just fine; a slightly funny-looking tesselation isn't always an indicator of how an actual mesh will look. Sometimes it is, usually it isn't. It never hurts to try!

If the tesselation bothers you much, you can change it by going to the menu item "View|Options|CAD Rendering". Try unchecking "fast rendering". I wouldn't generally recommend doing that since it has a very noticable impact on graphics performance for large models. But if you really, really need to make it look perfect on screen it might help out. You might also be able to adjust the rendering size down from 70%. Or use a combination of both settings. If it's just a single part that is bothering you in an assembly, select the part before visiting this screen. You change the tesselation for just selected part(s) or entire models.

HTH

Joel Schultz
Software Engineer
MFG-Engineering Design & Simulation
Autodesk

Joel Schultz
Principal Engineer
PDG-Simulation
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I didn't realize that about the rendering. You were spot on however I have run into another problem on a separate test that seems to be related. In the attachment you can see parts of the surface missing. It seems to be the case of what the help file shows yet none of the changes in mesh size nor feature matching seem to make those half of the tubes sides appear. Any idea whats going on here?

Thanks for the time and sorry for my ignorance!
Jonathan
Message 4 of 7

Altogether missing surfaces are usually a bad sign and indicate a problem in either the import translation process and/or the CAD model or CAD itself (rare, but it happens). I think your best bet would be to contact technical support. You'll probably need to send them the model, as it will be required to evaluate whether or not there is a defect and if there is a defect, would be necessary for testing to resolve it.

Joel Schultz
Software Engineer
MFG-Engineering Design & Simulation
Autodesk

Joel Schultz
Principal Engineer
PDG-Simulation
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the response, I changed the bend in the rope to something that was hopefully mathmatically easier and walla it seemed to fix it. Strange but I guess algor doesn't like funny curvature sweeps. Thanks for the help and I'll get on technical support if the problem arises again. Tschau !
Message 6 of 7

I have been running into the same problem with my Algor installation. I'm trying to do a fluid flow analysis and cant do without curves, but the surfaces at the pipe curve sections keep disappearing. I'm convinced this is not a display issue because the model wont even mesh. The CAD model has been merged into a single part and at a time i even converted the pipe into a solid component. What is it with Algor and curves because i didnt notice the same when i straightened out the curved sections?. Please help.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: jamesoylk

Can you attach the original file here

or here http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=78

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report