Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hydrostatic pressure - Shell elements with MES

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sapayne
881 Views, 4 Replies

hydrostatic pressure - Shell elements with MES

I'm attempting to model a structure which contains a fluid of one density on the exterior and another on the interior. I'm using MES with Shell elements.

In the documentation on hydrostatic pressure it indicates that a direction selector should be available in the hydrostatic pressure dialogue box to choose the top or bottom of the surface. This dialogue box is not available to me for the hydrostatic or variable pressures, as shown. For a simple pressure I am able to specify a different value for the top and bottom.

thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: sapayne

I assume that you have not selected a surface; at least the tltle bar does not show the normal "Creating N blah blahs". The dialog should change when you SELECT a surface. Until the software knows whether you are applying the pressure to a shell element or a brick element, there is no need to ask which side you want to apply it to.

Message 3 of 5
sapayne

Thank your for your response.

When I select the desired surface (shell elements) I get an error which indicates that the selected geometry does not support the load being applied, as illustrated in the attached image. Are there geometric limitations to the use of hydrostatic pressure on shell elements that I am unaware of?

Thanks again,
Shannon

Message 4 of 5
sapayne

I've overcome the last error by using a complete model, rather than one which relies on symmetry. Again though, I'm unable to prescribe a different hydrostatice pressure for the interior and exterior (see the attached figure). This volume is to contain fluidof one density and be emmersed in another.

Thoughts?

Message 5 of 5
sapayne

Nevermind, the option is there 😛
......longday haha

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report