Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fluid flow+ structural modeling - help

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jkmalagi
562 Views, 5 Replies

fluid flow+ structural modeling - help

Guru's,

I am trying to model a fluid flow system where the outlet flow (Q out) is controlled by the position of a spring-loaded 'float', which moves within a sleeve/outer cover. The outer cover has an inlet port & couple of outlet ports. The inlet port delivers pre-determined quantity of flow (Q in) at given inlet pressures.

Since the location of float is determined by inlet water pressure & spring rating, I am not sure as to how do I model the actual fluid. My ultimate aim is to size inlet & outlet ports for a range of flow rates & determine suitable spring rates for the float within given operating inlet water pressure ranges.

Please see attached image for details.

I appreciate any guidance that you provide.

Regards

Jay

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hupn
in reply to: jkmalagi

Hi,

Unfortunately, Autodesk simulation currently does not support the case of changed fluid flow domain. I do not realize a good way for your case.

hupn

Message 3 of 6
sunj.autodesk

Unfortunately, currently fluid solid coupling is not supported.

You may try some brutal force approach, first assume the float is fixed, and perform a fluid analysis. Then based on the pressure and spring force acted on the left and right side of the float, move the float a bit to left or right to balance it. Repeat this step and iteratively, you should archive a final state that is close enough to the real solution.

Message 4 of 6
Joey.X
in reply to: sunj.autodesk

sunj's proposal should handle your simple FSI problem although it needs manual iterations. An extra note is using fluid reaction force instead of pressure after fluid flow analysis,  since (a) reaction force is the overall force (pressure and shear stress in tangential direction) while pressure is the component in surface normal direction only; (b) overall reaction on the piston force could be acquired by pick all piston surfaces and get sum. 

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 5 of 6
ryan.arnaudin

Jay,

If you have access to Autodesk Simulation CFD (formerly CFdesign), this is something we do fairly often that could be accomplished with the motion module.  Our support folks could walk you through the process of getting this set up if you need a hand.

Ryan

Message 6 of 6
jkmalagi
in reply to: ryan.arnaudin

Thank you all for your prompt responses. I will try the iterative process suggested by Sunj (we have some base line test data to begin with) & close this query as solved as of now.

Ryan - unfortunately we do not have Autodesk CFD module as of now. Thanks for the offer to walk me thru the module though :).

Regards
Jay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report