Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable behaviour in linear static stress

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
536 Views, 5 Replies

cable behaviour in linear static stress

Hi

I would like to know what people here recommand to simulate cable behaviour like the example here attached.

The goal here is to have the red lines like cables that support de big centreal part during accelerations (in 3 direction separately)

I thought about gap, tension with gap ;

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
S.LI
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I'm not sure if you use MES or LSS.

There is a kind of element called "coupling" in MES.

Here is the element description from Algor help.

Use coupling elements to model some mechanisms easily. Specifically, these elements aid in the simulation of parts that couple at a known length. This coupling is modeled by introducing a stiffness when it reaches this length. This stiffness is calculated using a modulus of elasticity, a coupling area and the length of the element. It should be reemphasized that when the element is shorter than this coupling length, it has no stiffness. The modulus of elasticity should be high enough to ensure that there is enough stiffness when it reaches the coupling length.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I use lunear static stress, not mes

So is my solution acceptable ?
I think the only way to restraint the big upper part (considered as rigid) to be attached by those cables

ALAIN

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Alain, you could make the cables beam elements.  Have several Design Scenarios where in one direction those cables (beam elements) which are in tension are active and do this for another direction.  This will have an analysis for all the horizontal loads.  Should you need to show the capabilities of the load remaining on the skid in the vertical direction, have all the cables active and move the load with a force vertical (this direction would have all the cables (beam elements) in tension.

Compare the results to your allowable load for the cable capacity plus a safety factor.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Really sorry but i did not understood your solution, can you detail it ?

Message 6 of 6
S.LI

If LSS is the only thing you have, tension gap should be all right.

Be careful with with/without gap option.

I guess "without gap" is good for your case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report