Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacuum / Void Flow

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
616 Views, 1 Reply

Vacuum / Void Flow

I am an Autodesk Multiphyics user and am trying to model flow of an oil through a channel which is evacuated. The oil is passing through a hole in a pipe into a larger cavity which is evacuated. The flow then falls due to gravity into a collector.

In trying to set up this analysis I have realized that using only the oil as a fluid causes the cavity to behave as if it is entire full of fluid which is not the case since it should drop out.

I have also tried modelling a system where the oil enters a cavity full of air to simulation something similar. I find that the oil does not enter the air but just transfers its velocity components to the air, which then moves.

Is there another way I can model such a situation? I am primarily concerned with how the oil impacts the walls of the cavity as it passes through low pressure air (or better yet, a vacuum). This is a flow impingement type problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Cody,

My guess is that you are using the wrong analysis type. "Fluid Flow > Open Channel Flow" is what you want to be using.

From there, you can define what part of the model is filled at time zero.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report