Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using lines from CAD-models for 2D-elements

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bjorn_fallqvist
755 Views, 6 Replies

Using lines from CAD-models for 2D-elements

Hello,

Is there a way to use lines from the surfaces of CAD-models to create 2D-models? I have not been succesful in this. I have created a solid model, and then selected the corresponding lines in the YZ-plane (as I should according to the help file) and created a new part from these. However, it's not possible to select "2D" as an element type for these.

This is not the first time I've tried this; I've tried with other models also, but had the same problem. Is there something I am missing?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
svk
Explorer
in reply to: bjorn_fallqvist

Have you received a solution to this problem? 

We used to have a work-around;

We used to export a mesh to good old Superdraw3, select 2D-elements there and export it back to Fempro.

I've recently installed version 2012 and to my disappointment SD3 has been removed, but there is still no solution for selecting 2d-elements from a CAD-generated mesh! Seems like Autodesk Simulation focusses on 3D brick element users only...

Gr. Sjors van Kuipers

Stemar Engineering

The Netherlands

Message 3 of 7
Joey.X

From CAD, export 2-D sketch to (a) DWG format ; or (b) wireframe iges format, this may need change options in CAD export.

Autodesk Simulation MP v2012 can read above formats for 2D sketch, and remember rotate the import into yoz plane which is the 2D work plane in simulation.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 4 of 7
svk
Explorer

Thanks! I've tested the DWG-export and it works fine. We (upto this moment) have always used SAT-files for exporting 3D geometry from CAD. Note of this requirement would be useful in the helpfile. Is it mentioned?

Gr.

Sjors van Kuipers

Stemar Engineering

The Netherlands

Message 5 of 7
svk
Explorer
in reply to: svk

I drew my conclusion too quickly. The same problem occurs when importing a DWG-region. The meshing works fine, but the elements may then not be made into 2D-elements. It seems like such a silly flaw in the program. 

The sequence as described above will require the modeller to model the mesh (old-school) using the imported CAD-lines. 

Autodesk: please have  look at this problem again.

Yours,

Sjors van Kuipers

Message 6 of 7
John_Holtz

Sjors van Kuipers,

Please confirm whether you followed the procedure described on the page "Importing CAD Wireframe Files" (Wiki page is here, or this page in the In-Product Help: "Help > Autodesk Simulation > Open Model Files > Open CAD Files > Import CAD Wireframe Files"). Not surprising, it does work when used properly.

If you are still having a problem, please attach your drawing/dxf/iges file, and indicate what type of analysis you want to perform.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 7 of 7
Joey.X

I just tried importing a DWG file which was exported from Inventor, and made a full model of 2D linear stress analysis.

It worked fine for me; some tips may be needed in the workflow.

(a) After importing DWG, make sure all lines in YOZ plane.  If not, select all construction objects, do rotation to YOZ plane;

(b) Check FEA editor/Tree view, make sure the construction objects in YZ(+X). If not (typically marked as "3D Objects"), select all construction objects, scale it by factor 1, this is for touching the object and set construction object to YZ plane. In my opinion, this step should be automatically handled by software.

Next do 2D meshing and other follow up modeling settings.

Attached are the screen shots for the modeling/result and complete archive model. 

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums