Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using General Contact Element

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cheaneys
637 Views, 5 Replies

Using General Contact Element

I am trying to figure out how to use the "General Contact" option under element type in autodesk simulation and I repeatedly get this one error (screen-shot attacted), despite trying to use the simplest model possible. Does anyone know why I am getting this error? I would greatly appreciate any help.

I have fixed the bottom face of the part in all 6 D.O.F. and constrained the other two faces for 5 D.O.F. (not constraining in the z translational direction). Applied a small force, inputted the rod's cross-setional area, along with values for coupling length, coupling modulus, and breaking stress.

My overall goal is to define an piece that will break after the part experiences a certain stress.

Any help will be appreciated, even just advice on how to get any part to work while using the general contact element option will be helpful.

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: cheaneys

I do not have my reading glasses on, so perhaps I am just overlooking it. But is there a screenshot attached that shows the error?

Message 3 of 6
cheaneys
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Sorry about that. Here is the attatched screenshot

Message 4 of 6
cheaneys

error2.PNG

Message 5 of 6
AstroJohnPE

That helps! 🙂

The problem is that the software thinks that part 1 should be a solid, and it probably should be a solid! So the element type should be brick (if the rod is solid) or shell (if it is a hollow tube).

One general contact element is a line which you normally use to connect two parts of the model together, or connect the model to the ground. The line is an idealization of a real spring, similar to how a beam element (a straight line) represents the cross-section of a real beam. So if your model had worked, it would represent a net whose fibers or rope had the spring stiffness that you entered.

The software will not show the model break into pieces except perhaps in the most trivial situation. The usual method of determining if a part will break is by comparing the calculated stress to an allowable strength, such as the yield strength or ultimate tensile strength. Additionally, a fatigue analysis can be performed which would indicate if the part breaks due to cyclic loading.

Message 6 of 6
cheaneys
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Thank you for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report