Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to apply material in a thermal study

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Magre
752 Views, 7 Replies

Unable to apply material in a thermal study

When I try to apply a material in a thermal study I get an error message similar to this and cannot  apply any material:

Unexpected error

Modification of a ****** thermal element, the isotropic/orthotropic has not been specified

(*translated*, my version is in french...     (sim mechanical 2013))

No matter what type of element I used, or what type of material model (iso, ortho, iso temp dependent...) I apply in the element definition I always get the same error. Even in a blank study with no geometry in it, when I create a component, select the element type and def,  and try to apply a material I get this message error. This only happens in thermal studies, first time trying to use thermal studies...

Seems like the software cannot read the material model from the element definition. I tried reinstalling the software and still get the same message.

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Magre

Hi Magre,

I agree with your thought: sounds like the software is not able to read the element definition. What happens if you do this test?

1. Define the element type to be brick.
  2. Edit the Element Definition and set the material model to Orthotropic.
  3. Click OK to close the Element Definition.
  4. Edit the Element Definition again. Is the material model set to Ortho?

If it is Isotropic -- the default -- this would support the idea that the software is not able to read the Element Definition. In this case, try saving the model to another folder where you have successfully worked on other models, or save it to a really short folder and filename, such as C:\junk\test.fem. (Everyone needs a junk folder, right?)

Also, I see that you have version 2013. Have you installed service pack 1 and/or 2? I do not recall any problems like this that the service pack would have fixed.

Message 3 of 8
Magre
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Turns out SP2 was not installed, which I tought was the case. Everything seems ok now.

Message 4 of 8
diperna

Hi, i have the problem with my installation.

My study i steady state heat transfer.

When i edit material, the library give me an message that the material is not isotrop.

Would you like to help me.

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
Ju_brl
in reply to: diperna

Hi there,

I got the same error and I'm stuck with it.

I installed the SP2 but it doesn't change anything. What can we do ?

Regards.

Message 6 of 8
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Ju_brl

The first thing I would try is to edit the Element Definition and click the OK button. Can you enter the material properties now?

Next, you could try the tests in my last post and let us know what the results are.

Another option is to install the latest version of the software, which is 2014 or maybe 2014 Service Pack 1.

Message 7 of 8
Ju_brl

I tried this and your recommandations in your previous post and it works.
I mean the changes I make in the element properties seem to be saved.

But it's impossible to set the material properties, I always have the same error than the author.

Message 8 of 8
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Ju_brl

Ju,

Since this discussion was marked as "solved", some people may not be reading it. I suggest that you start a new thread for your problem. Be sure to include:

1. The version of the software ("Getting Started > Help > About", provide the build number and date)
  2. What element type you are using
  3. What material model is used in the Element Definition (be sure to click the OK button when you close the dialog)
  4. What the precise error message is when you enter the material and when it occurs.
  5. The name of the model
  6. The complete path where the model is stored (C:\.....\........\........\........etc)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report