Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of loads to midplane element edges, other questions

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
whunter
458 Views, 2 Replies

Transfer of loads to midplane element edges, other questions

Hello all;

I'm busy evaluating SIM MP...

I noticed that if a load is applied to an unmeshed surface (I assume the same would count for constraints), it doesn't get transfered (maintained) once the geometry has been meshed. It is however only when the edge of a thin part is loaded, as shown below:

LoadSurface.PNG

After meshing, the load remains a surface load, as shown below. I expected it to become an edge load (the edge is highlighted). Is there a work around or am I doing something wrong? Admittedly it is not a lot of work to change it to an edge load.

LoadSurface2Edge.PNG

Q2) Is there a way to check if all elements are connected? For example, is there a way to query free plate edges?

Q3) Is a verification manual of some sort available?

Regards,

William

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: whunter

Hi William,

Welcome.

A1) Your suggestion of converting the pressure load on an "edge" to an edge force is a good idea. Other than applying the edge force manually, I cannot think of a workaround.

One question about how such a function would work. In the figures that you showed, the edge is perpendicular to the faces, so the edge force would be in the plane of the midplane mesh. How common is it for the edge to not be perpendicular to the face?

A2) I cannot think of a method to find the "free edges". Are you interested in finding such edges to check whether different parts are connected together? If that is your interest, perhaps one of the members has a way to do that.

A3) Yes. From the software, go to "Getting Started > Web Links > Autodesk Simulation". At the bottom of the page, click the link to "Documentation". In the right-hand column, click the link to "Accuracy Verification". You can download the PDF and model archives from there.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
whunter
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John;

Thanks for the reply.

R1) It will be perpendicular if it's a normal sheetmetal part, because when you create a sheetmetal part in Inventor you just draw lines, extrude and specify the sheetmetal plate thickness; as I'm sure you know. It works like that for SolidWorks and Solid Edge too, when I last worked on those CAD systems. Also, sheetmetal parts are by their 'definition' thin (1/10 thickness/geometry ratio), so it is ideally suited to midplane creation.

Of course there are and will be exceptions, but they are few and perhaps the software can warn you if it detects if the edge plane is not normal to the midplane, in which case you must apply the load/constraint manually.

R2) Yes, I'd like to know that all my element edges are connected or disconnected. For example, I had a case today where the midplane mesh wasn't connected to the adjacent solid mesh for only one plate element (I noticed a disconnected node sitting in the middle of the solid's surface mesh). I solved the problem by remeshing with the 'Junction' option (can't remember the exact name). Still, it would be nice to see free element edges or nodes.

R3) Thanks.

Q4) I'd like to slip another Q in here...

If CAD geometry changes, shouldn't SIM warn you? Like an update button ala Inventor, or maybe the traffic light logo should turn red (know that I think about it, it doesn't maybe do that already, does it?)

Regards,

William

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report