Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to Speed up Simulation Time?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
langmuirsystems
5208 Views, 2 Replies

Tips to Speed up Simulation Time?

Hi all,

I've been running some fairly simple FEA and I'm finding that the solve time is a little bit longer than I'd like. I'd like to be able to make changes to my part in Inventor, and then test them quickly in Simulation and continue to make changes to optimize the part. Since I'm only doing a relative ranking between parts, are there tips or tricks that can help decrease my solve time? I'm not looking for super high accuracy on these...

Thanks,

M

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Also, sometimes i will run a simulation and it seems to be stuck on a certain time step and will never progress past this step...

Message 3 of 3

Hi M,

It would be helpful to know

1. what type of analysis you are running (MES? thermal? fluid flow? something else?),
  2. any special effects that are in the model that may affect the number of iterations (elastic-plastic material model? radiation? only pressure loads?),
  3. and which version of Simulation Mechanical you are using.
  4. Also, is the problem that there are too many time steps overall, or is the software increasing the number of steps (reducing the delta time) in order to converge?

I assume you are using a model from CAD, so when you run the simulation, there are two steps that can be timely. One is the solid mesh, and the second is the actual analysis. Since your latest post mentions "stuck on a time step", I assume this means that the actual analysis (step 2) is taking longer than the solid mesh (step 1). Usually, a larger surface mesh will create a smaller model which in turn requires less time to analyze. But depending on what effect may be causing the additional iterations, it could be that a finer surface mesh that creates more elements may actually solve faster.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report