Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for modelling three plates bolted together

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bjorn_fallqvist
492 Views, 3 Replies

Tips for modelling three plates bolted together

Hi,

I need some tips on how to model a joint of three parts (see picture). What I'm really interested in is the stress amplitude in the bolt clamping the plates together, so I'd like to make a joint at the top and bottom parts and connect it between them, but how do simulate that the inner hole surface is bonded to the bolt (as it is in reality)?

I was thinking of making some kind of beam "crosses" (like a universal joint) between the interfaces of the top and bottom plate and connect it to the hole inside, but this would not be a good representation, I think. It would become much too stiff.

I suppose I can always just draw the bolt in two parts, and let the middle node be connected to the inside of the hole somehow, but then I'm unsure how to properly determine the bolt axial stress.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Björn

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alan_H
in reply to: bjorn_fallqvist

Have you looked at the bolted connection option under the Mesh pull down?  Their's actually a tutorial that ships with Algor that goes over the bolted connection faily well (Bolted Flange CAD Model under the Meshing and Modeling Tutorials).

Alan

Message 3 of 4

I didn't know there was one. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4

Hi,

I don't think that tutorial is what I was looking for. It's only two flanges, and I'm looking for something similar, but with a plate in between that should also stay fixed because of the bolt without adding overly much stiffness. Maybe contact beam-solid somehow can be done.

Thanks anyhow!

/Björn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report