Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech previeuw tab unavailable

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jeroenwm
435 Views, 9 Replies

Tech previeuw tab unavailable

hello

i have a problem with multiphysics can someone help me with that ? i would like to do a drop test

but the tech previeuw tab isnt availeble . (in this immage the part isnt loaded yet but when i load it it doesnt make a diffrence)

if chosen the MES non linear...

the assembly i want to drop its a caster wheel ( i actually wanne do a small crash test)

the velocity when it hits has to be around 10m/s all parts has to be steel only the wheel itself is nylon

and i want to drop it in that  way that the wheel (only) hits the ground first in riding direction. I only need to know its deformation and stress at first impact so i dont care how manny times it bounces up and down

the assambly is a little bit to big to upload so if i get an email ill sent a pack and go

kind regards

Naamloos.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
John_Holtz
in reply to: jeroenwm

Hi,

Unfortunately, your image is so small that I cannot read anything on it. Perhaps you can attach a full resolution image to the reply instead of inserting it.

Alternatively, what are the answers to these?

1. What is your analysis type? It needs to be MES with Nonlinear Material Models
  2. What software are you running? What is the text in the title bar, and what is the build number on "Getting Started > Help > About"? Your subject implies that you downloaded and installed the Tech Preview from the Autodesk Labs, but I do not remember off the top of my head what the build number should be.
  3. Did you customize the ribbon or QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) prior to installing the Tech Preview? If so, you probably need to delete the file that contains the customization so that it does not interfere with the new menus of the Tech Preview. Here's how to do that:

a) Open My Computer or Windows Explorer

b) Type %appdata% in the address bar and press Enter. This will take you to something like "C:\users\your name\AppData\Roaming".

c) Surf to "Autodesk > Airlook > Algor > 2012"

d) delete the file "AlgorState_en-US.xml"

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 10
jeroenwm
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello

i'm using the MES with Nonlinear Material Models

Im running the autodesk multiphysics (32-bit)

and i didnt qustomize the ribbon, not what im awear of.

Message 4 of 10
jeroenwm

the build number is 2012.00.00.0163 (could it be that it isnt availeble in the student version ? cause im still a student )

Message 5 of 10
John_Holtz

Hi, Sorry that this "slipped" off of my radar.

I think the problem is that you are not starting the Tech Preview version; you are starting the 2012 version! There may be a different icon on the desktop but definitely a different start command under the Windows "Start > All Programs".

The build number of the Tech Preview shown in the Help About  is 2012.10.00.xxxx (I don't remember the last 4 digits, but the number 10 is the important distinction.)

Let us know if this fixes it or not.

By the way, you can set up a drop test model in the software you are using now. The main difference between the Tech Preview is that there is a wizard that automates the steps of creating things. Otherwise, you can do them manually. (The Tech Preview also has a better algorithm for solving the impacts. Give the choice between doing the simulation with a less efficient code versus not doing the simulation at all, I would take the first choice. 🙂

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 6 of 10
jeroenwm

i cant follow completly , isnt the tech previeuw tab (drop test ) a part of the autodesk multiphysics 2012 ? or what do i have to do , or download ? ive only acces to the student software but i want to do some small test with it .

kind regards

Message 7 of 10
jeroenwm

after installation of the multiphysiscs i got this ""

Instructions for installing an "Autodesk Algor" menu in Mechanical Desktop

1. Start Mechanical Desktop.

2. (Note: This step is for MDT 2007, 2008 and 2009 only. For other early versions, just skip this step.)
MDT 2007, 2008 and 2009: Select menu Assist -> Options. In the Files table, select "Support File Search Path", then click "Add..." button. Click "Browse..." and add the path of the Autodesk Algor install directory's CAD_INST\CAD_MDT.

3. Type "MenuLoad".

4. Click "Browse..." and go to the Autodesk Algor install directory's CAD_INST\CAD_MDT folder and open the appropriate Algor.* file found in a folder appropriate for your version of Mechanical Desktop.
Mechanical Desktop 3.x (AutoCAD 14) -> MDT3\Algor.mnc
Mechanical Desktop 4.x-6.x (AutoCAD 2000) -> MDT4to6\Algor.mnc
Mechanical Desktop 7.x (AutoCAD 2004) - 2006 -> MDT7plus\Algor7.mns
Mechanical Desktop 2007 and 2008 -> MDT2007\Algor7.cui
Mechanical Desktop 2008 x64 -> MDT2007\x64\Algor7.cui
Mechanical Desktop 2009 x64 -> MDT2007\x64\Algor7.cui

5. Click the "Load" button. "Autodesk Algor" should now be highlighted in the menu groups (if not, proceed to step 6 anyway).

6. Click the Menu bar tab. Menu group "Autodesk Algor" should automatically be selected, and the single top-level menu should be shown and highlighted in the list. If the group "Autodesk Algor" is not selected when you go to this tab, select the "Autodesk Algor" group yourself and then highlight the "Autodesk Algor" menu.

7. Select the last item in the "Menu bar" list (probably "help") and press the "Insert" button. If you wish to place the "Autodesk Algor" menu before another menu bar item instead, select that instead of "Help" before pressing "Insert".

8. Press close. The "AlgorFeatureControl" and "AlgorMesh" commands and "Autodesk Algor" menu should now be available in MDT, along with a toolbar for these commands if you are using Mechanical Desktop 7 or higher. You should also see the message "AlgorMDT.arx loaded" somewhere in the command history window after closing the dialog box.

The CAD Solid Model Feature Control can be started either by the Autodesk Algor|Feature Control menu item, pressing its toolbar button (if available) or by typing in the command "AlgorFeatureControl".

The Autodesk Algor CAD Solid Model environment can now be launched either by the Autodesk Algor|Mesh menu item, pressing its toolbar button (if available) or by typing in the command "AlgorMesh".   "

so what do i have to do , it all looks so complicated

Message 8 of 10
John_Holtz

Okay, now I am confused. Did you download and install the Tech Preview from Autodesk Labs? It is different software from the commercial version of 2012 that you are running.

But you better hurry. You only have 5 days left.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
John_Holtz

Are you planning on using Mechanical Desktop? If so, why? But to complete the setup, you will need to follow the instructions. They are not as difficult as they look. 

If not usind Mechanical Desktop, then you do not need to worry about the instructions.

Note that Mechanical Desktop is a different product than AutoCAD Mechanical. Mechanical Desktop has been superceeded by Inventor and Inventor Fusion for solid model creation.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
jeroenwm
in reply to: John_Holtz

I dont wanne use the mechanical desktop just going from inventor to the multiphysics. so if i downloaded the tech previeuw from the autodesk lab and install it it should be working and then i dont have to do the setup for algor in mechanical desktop ? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report