Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange convergence problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sladisch
323 Views, 2 Replies

Strange convergence problem

Hi @all,

I have a strange convergence problem. I'm doing an nonlinear Analysis using the MES-Tool. Here are some parameters of the model:

- Timesteps: 200

- Convergence criterion based on displacement, tolerance: 0.005

- Every body has small deformations activated

- The model contains several surface-surface-contacts

In the fist iterations the model converges very well. After reaching a certain level the convergence value doesn't change anymore. Please take a look at the attached graphic.

Kind Regards

Stefan

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ilyas_drawbridge
in reply to: sladisch

Hi Stefan,

If it were me, I'd try to run with large displacement analysis type first to see if it works. If it doesn't then my guess is that it is in the surface contact stiffness. Try using a lower contact stiffness to see if that helps. Other than that, you probably need to provide more information on the analysis setup.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 3 of 3
zhuangs
in reply to: sladisch

To use MES, especially with surface contact, impact planes, gap element, general gap element, etc, "Large displacement" should be used for all the parts if having the option, no matter how small the displacement or deformation of the model is.  Since the option controls the updates of stiffness matrix.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report