Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedboat Floating/Simulation

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
oak_roberts
1117 Views, 8 Replies

Speedboat Floating/Simulation

I'm new to Simulation Multiphysics and am trying to simulate a watercraft I'm designing in Inventor, for ease sake I'm going to work on simulating a generic speedboat.

Ideal outcome: to find out how much drag a particular hull shape has, and posibly the potential speed of the craft determined by the force the hull is being 'pushed' through the water. Would Simulation simulate the hull raising up onto the 'plane' as it gains speed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Kind regards, Oak Roberts

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joey.X
in reply to: oak_roberts

For drag force on surface vehicles, refer to a previous ASIM/MP thread  Drag on a kayak

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 3 of 9
oak_roberts

I'd found that but thought it may be different with simulating the force of the engine, or is it worked out the other way, set speed, then find the drag then work out the power needed to overcome the drag? I'll have a more in depth read of the kayaks thread.

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
Joey.X

My point is that ASIM/MP can't do the drag force for  speedboat's drag force, since the force of wave dominates in drag force and ASIM/MP does not handle that.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 5 of 9
oak_roberts
in reply to: Joey.X

Is force of wave the force of the hull pushing through the water? I'm still wrapping my head round the terminology of all this, I only installed ASIM today :p. My understanding so far is that i can't simulate a planing hull as ASIM does not support the simulation of movement of a hull through liquid? Or am I confusing myself?

Message 6 of 9
Joey.X

(You asked) Is force of wave the force of the hull pushing through the water?

Physically, you can say that way. The drag force is the force to balance and maintain the speed of moving hull.  However, in numerical simulation it is more complicated depending on software’s capability.  In ASIM, we can simulate the reaction force (including drag force) for fully submerged vehicle, which has an assumption of no surface water wave involved.

For the case of surface vehicle, the water wave produced by moving vehicle usually dominates the drag force, that why you see the high speed under water vehicles (subs, torpedoes etc) are faster than surface vehicles. To simulate the surface vehicles, “free surface” and “6-DOF FSI” are needed ; these are the features ASIM does not have at this point.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 7 of 9
oak_roberts

Aaah right, the fog of confusion lifts slightly. Thanks :). I fear i may have to spend some time doing some reading, are there any good texts you know of that goes through explaining the ins and outs of simulation on ASIM barrring the tutorials?

Thanks again for the replies, Oak Roberts.

Message 8 of 9
laranjo123

Hmm i believe Asim/mech cannot handle this. Use Maxsurf stability instead. To determine the water resistance and it's drag force what engine used be used. All these can be handled by maxsurf,

Thanks and Best Regards,

~Mac

Naval Architect Engineer

Message 9 of 9
laranjo123

Anyways asim/mech can simulate stresses only. It cannot simulate the wave surface or the wave frequency etc. If there is please let me know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report