Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Mechanical no Stress Results

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
m.granata
864 Views, 4 Replies

Simulation Mechanical no Stress Results

Hello,

Well, I am having an issue with my FEA software.  It is the Algor V22 prior to when Autodesk purchased Algor.  I can't seem to get any stress results when performing an analysis.  My Algor V21.1 works correctly, but Algor V22 will not.  If I open an FEA model from V21.1 in V22 it displays correct stress/displacement contours/results.  But if I rerun the analysis on that same model with all the same settings, same mesh (not remeshing), and same loads and boundary conditions in V22 I get only displacement results and no stress results or stress contours in post processing.  Need help with this issue!

I paid for and legally own all my Algor software and was on Algor's annual maintenance from V16 through V22.  I stopped my maintenance shortly prior to Autodesk purchasing Algor.  I know there was a V22 with service pack 1 and service pack 2 released shortly after V22 was released but I have no means of obtaining it.  Autodesk has no service packs available on their website for Algor software prior to Autodesk purchasing Algor.  And I cannot find an Algor website.

I have run both the Algor V21.1 and V22 on the same PC with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.  Help!  I need either a solution to this issue or a source to download Algor V22 service pack 1 or service pack 2.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: m.granata

Hi M.,

1. What type of analysis are you running?
  2. What type of elements are in the analysis?
  3. What type of stress results have you tried to view?
  4. From the Report environment, view the log file (maybe it is named the statistics file). Start from the bottom of the file and scroll up until you find a header with something like "Algor Stress Calculation Utility". (This header looks similar to the header at the beginning of the file but is not the header at the beginning of the file that I want you to find.) Now scroll down in the log file until you find either an error that indicates why the stress calculation stopped, or a message that it was successful.
  5. Does the stress file exist in the folder? The page File Extensions in the online wiki Help will tell you what the extension is and where it will be located.
Message 3 of 5
m.granata
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

John,

After about a week of fighting this,  I can't believe what has seemed to fix the issue.  I am having to use a step file I export from the model I create in Inventor Product Design Suite Premium 2013, and I simply moved the step file into a folder with a shorter name and fewer subfolders.  I went from c:\users\MyName\My Documents/Inventor Drawings\......\........\filename.stp to a shorter c:\FEA\....\filename.  I found in this discussion group another person with a slightly newer version of Algor and the same issue.  This is what solved their issue and so far mine as well.  Why, I don't know? 

I was so frustrated with it I looked into upgrading to Simulation Mechanical 2013.  After going back and forth with my reseller for several days, their confusing price structure boiled down to upgrading would cost more than my original investment.  I've looked at a trial of Simulation Mechanical and from what I can tell, below the new ribbon type menu its still all Algor.  I have to run my old Algor V22 on a second workstation with Windows Vista, but it runs fine on it.  It wouldn't run the Windows 7 workstation I have my Inventor Product Design Suite on without some other glitches. 

I would still like a source to obtain SP1 and SP2 for the Algor V22 I own.  It seems Autodesk wants nothing to do with versions of Algor prior to when Autodesk purchased Algor.  Which is another reason I choose not to upgrade.

As far as your other questions.  It is a linear stress analysis with primarily brick elements and a few tetrahedra elements.  When it didn't work correctly I couldn't find any stress results of any type in the report or stress contours.  I don't know about a file with stress results in it.  I haven't been doing FEA for 15 years continuous, but I'm not new to FEA, I have fair experience with it and many undergraduate and graduate level college FEA courses.  As you have,  I also have a P.E. license (Mechanical Engineering).

Thanks for your help.  Any ideas where I may obtain SP1 or SP2 for Algor V22?  V22 SP1 was released very shortly after V22.  I have the license, I was on Algor's maintenance when V22 SP1 and SP2 were released but I never obtained them.  That issue of availability with Autodesk is very frustrating.

Regards,

Mike

Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE

Glad you found the solution to the stress problem. From what I recall, you tried different models, so I doubt the problem is because the path to the stress file (.NSO) is one character longer than the path to the displacement file (.DO).

I have no idea about V22 service packs. There used to be an "algor-users" group on Yahoo that was started under Algor and had a number of "older" users, but I cannot find it. But locating an old user seems like the best way to get a service pack.

Regarding whether to upgrade to the current software or not, one consideration is all of the new features (and bug fixes) that have been added in the last 4 years (7 major releases!). The wiki Help page Release Notes > Introduction will describe what has been added. I think that the units system added in 2010 and the new features added to 2013 would practically justify upgrading. (Not to "toot my own horn" because I was heavily involved with the design of 2013, but I think that 2013 was one of the best releases. I am no longer with Autodesk, so I have no stake in whether you upgrade or not.)

Message 5 of 5
m.granata

John,

Every model I tried to run an analysis with that had a long directory/subdirectory path would not produce stress results.  I've tried a couple now with short directory path's and it works fine.  I suspect this was fixed in SP1 or SP2 which I don't have.

I was about ready to upgrade.  I've used the 30 day trial of Simulation Mechanical 2013 a bit.  I like the GUI better.  But in reality, Laws of Physics haven't changed that I am aware of, and for the linear stress and strain work I am doing, I've compared results, and the numbers are identical between my Algor V22 and the trial of Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2013.  Post processing graphics are also identical.  As a matter of fact, many of the Algor V22 dialogue boxes are still the same in Autodesk Simulation 2013.

The upgrade pricing sounded fair to me until I filtered through the maze of language that described the reseller's complicating pricing structure.  Basically, the reseller minimized Autodesk's upgrade fees (GREAT!!!) but then added their own fee's of $1475 for service/support/training + $50 shipping that I am told is an Autodesk fee, which I feel are too high to process a sale.  The reseller agreed I did not need training and would eliminate training but would not reduce or eliminate the $1475 fee.  I've been with this reseller for at least 10 years,  Unfortunately for me, I haven't found another Autodesk reseller in my area that carries Autodesk's Simulation products.  So for now, it's Algor V22 for me.

Thanks again,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report