Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Mechanical 2014 1D Meshing Issues

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
adai8636
778 Views, 4 Replies

Simulation Mechanical 2014 1D Meshing Issues

Hello everyone. I am doing 1D meshing for a frame analysis and have run into an issue where I use "Divide 1 Object" to create a mesh. This works very well, but my problem is that when I mesh and try to run the analysis, I have nodes that are not connected. I can't seem to find any tools within Simulation Mechanical 2014 to effectively modify and equivalence the nodes to each other. Does anyone have any ideas? I've already tried remeshing several times and can't get the nodes to equivalence. The model is "watertight" so I have no continuity issues and it must be a mesh generation issue. Help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: adai8636

I'm confused with your terminology. 1D meshing and dividing one object is generally used to create 1D (line) elements: truss elements, beams, etc. Watertight applies to 3D (solid) elements: bricks and tets.

Any way, the command you are looking for is "Draw > Modify > Global Snap" after setting the "Set Search Tolerance".

Message 3 of 5
adai8636
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

John, thank you very much. That solved my issue. I didn't realize the default FEA node tolerance was 1e-8. I was only exporting to a tolerance of 1e-4 which could explain drawing nodes deviating by greating than the FEA tolerance. My apologies on using incorrect terminology. I was simply trying to imply that there were no discontinuities in my original 3D Sketch and as such, I didn't understand how two nodes on top of each other weren't the same. I assume it must have therefore been the export tolerance being off, or simply that in 1D meshing, node connections must be explicitly defined. Either way, my question has been answered and I am very satisfied. Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
jpate015
in reply to: adai8636

I have a problem with Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 360.  In the regular Sim Mech, the part I am trying to run works fine.  In 360, frictionless constraints do not work.  I can suppress and it will run, but it is not realistic at that point.  If I have any kind of frictionless constraint it will fail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help,

Pate

Message 5 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: jpate015

Hi Pate,

Your post seems to be unrelated to the topic of this discussion. Also, this discussion has been marked as solved, so some people may not read it.

I suggest that you start a new topic and ask your questions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report