Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Result view in MES

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
P.Mad
453 Views, 2 Replies

Result view in MES

Hi

I'm performing a simulation of plane undercarriage in MES with high initial velocity.

Is there any way to hold the model from running away off the screen in result tab?

Peter

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: P.Mad

Hi Peter,

I can think of two methods, one that is fun but tedious, and another which is boring but easy Smiley Happy

Fun but tedious

I am thinking of an analogy: a crash test. Instead of a stationary camera, you would like the camera to follow the object. So what you would like to view is the relative displacement, not the total displacement. I think the software cannot do that automatically, although perhaps there is some way to do it with the custom results. Otherwise, you could

1. output the complete displacement results file to a text file ("Results Options > Other > Tools > Nodal Results Translator")
  2. Choose 3 nodes to represent the moving origin, X', and Y' axes.
  3. Calculate the displacements for all nodes at all time-steps relative to the X', Y', Z' coordinate system. I'm guessing you have a lot of data (many nodes and/or time steps), so the file size might be too large for Excel.
  4. Put the calculations back into the nodal results.

Boring but easy

Turn the displaced shape off ("Results Contours > Displacement > Show Displaced"). You can use the strain results to visualize the relative displacement over time, but you would not be able to show the displaced shape.

This gives me another idea. What would happen if the displacements (X, Y, Z) were replaced with the strain (XX, YY, ZZ) using the nodal results translator? If you did this, choosing the "X Displacement" would really show the XX strain, but that value could be used to show the displaced shape. I do not know if that would be meaningful or not.

Message 3 of 3
P.Mad
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Dear John

Thanks for quick answer, the first option is what I'm looking for.

I have checked the Nodal Result Translator in Autodesk online documentation and I think I can write a simple C++ code to recalculate displacement.

I will share the source code for people with similar problem.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report