Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restarting an analysis problem

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
689 Views, 13 Replies

Restarting an analysis problem

I have a problem, which I wish to restart in a subsequent design scenario (with different time-stepping). So I run the first DS up to a certain point, saving restart data every time. Then I copy the entire DS, make it a restart analysis, select the previous analysis as the restart scenario, and I get the following error message:

** ERROR! Can not find restart file : C:\Users\Public\Documents\Projekt\Coloplast\1083\1083_35.ds_data\2\ds.rnv

It tries to look in the folder for the second Design Scenario, but I have ensured that it is set to the folder for the first scenario. What is happening?

Thanks,

Björn

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
S.LI
in reply to: Anonymous

There are two different restart ways: restart the current analysis and restart from another analysis.

Which one are you using, or which one do you want to use?

For the second one, you also have to set "name of model to restart from" for "from another analysis".

Please double check the two settings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: S.LI

I'm using "restart from another analysis".

I have double-checked.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

In the beginning of the log file, there is this line:

** restart analysis from another model: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Projekt\Coloplast\1083\1083_35.ds_data\1\ds

So it should start from that model, right?

Message 5 of 14
S.LI

yes, it means the restart base is DS1.

ds.rvn is for shell element. I don't know the reason.

Please share your log file first. Then...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

I am attaching the log file to this message.

Message 7 of 14
S.LI

The log file looks fine to me, and I can not find any wrong/inconsistent settings here.

I'm not sure the reason.

Could you try one thing?

1.) copy the ds.rnv from DS1 to DS2;

2.) run the restart analysis for DS2 to see if it fails or works;

3.) check ds.rnv in DS2 to see if it's removed or updated.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Simply copying it actually worked. A strange bug, I guess.

Message 9 of 14
S.LI

How's the result? Looks reasonable?

I'll try to see if I can reproduce this problem in my machine.

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

The results were at least read in alright. I was trying to tweak a problem that I'm having great difficulty getting to converge, but it still doesn't...

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

By the way, now that we're talking about restarts; I'm trying to restart a Riks from a MES (according to the help file this should be possible), but I keep getting an error message

** Error : reading restart file, r9.
    This model has been updated to use new enhancements in
    elements, The analysis must be performed from the beginning
    in order to perform a restart analysis in the future.
 ** Error (1)

I've made sure (and double-checked several times) that I do not make any changes, and refer to the correct Design Scenario. Have you seen this problem?

Message 12 of 14
S.LI

I'm not sure here, since I don't have too much experience on restarting Riks from MES.

Message 13 of 14
9msl1

Hello

Does this "restarting" the analysis mean that the analysis "picks up where it left off"  I'm having the problem of my computer crashing halfway through analysis and only getting half my data.  If I find a way for the computer to pick up at the last load case and continue, my life will be a lot easier 😄

Thanks

Message 14 of 14
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: 9msl1

Yes, that is one of the features of the restart capability in MES. I suggest that you search the documentation for "Perform Restart Analyses" to learn the circumstances and methods.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report