Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radial Offset for Beams

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
B_A_T
1212 Views, 3 Replies

Radial Offset for Beams

Hi,

I am trying to put a radial offset on a bunch of beams and was curious if there is a way to do it? Basically I want the location of the beams to be further out radially than I have them drawn. I have tried using a center node but since I need to enter an I and J node, it would seem I would need to define these nodes all the way around the circle to get an accurate offset. Is this the case or is there some way I am missing?

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
guozh
in reply to: B_A_T

Beam offset is used to define the offset of neutral axis. The offset values DX, DY and DZ for I and J node are supposed to be in global coordinate system.  Moreover, I think there is no local coordinate system support for beam offsets.  If you were trying to offset beams using any local coordinate system, it would not be feasible.

The best way is to redraw the lines (geometry model).

Message 3 of 4
andrewdroth

I would really benifit by being able to do this also.

For example. I have a round tank with a rim angle, I'd like to offset those beam elements radialy to properly represent the actual geometry.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Message 4 of 4
madg1

this is one serious drawback, ASIM people should address.

One workaround suggested by astrojohn was to use beam elements with high stiffness values to represent beamoffsets.I modeled a whole lattice structure using the above method.

madg1
ASIMM 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report