Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Distribution over Airfoil

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
thui930
377 Views, 2 Replies

Pressure Distribution over Airfoil

Hi there,

My simulation involves looking at the stresses that a simple NACA airfoil withstands during flight.

I have generated an equation for the Coefficient of pressure. When I enter this into the variable pressure function area, it generates a plot thats very close to my Cp vs. x.

The only issue I am having now is that the simulation gives me extremely high readings. My question is, does anyone have any idea how the variable pressure works?

eg. If i have an x^2 varaible pressure along the flat plate, does each cross sectional piece see an pressure distribution of x^2 and then do all the pressures compound? or does it spread the pressure across the entire span of the plate?

Thanks

-T

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: thui930

Hi T-

Are the reactions correct, as in equaling the expected lift and drag? ("Results Contours > Other Results > Reactions > Reaction Force (Negative)")

• If not, then the pressure is not applied properly.
  • If the reactions are correct, then something else is wrong in the setup of the model.

To answer your question, the pressure is applied to each element face on the surface(s) that you select. As a confirmation, the title bar of the dialog indicates how many surfaces are selected. The calculation is something like this:

1. Based on the equation you enter, the pressure at each element on the selected surface(s) is calculated: Pi=(x coordinate of the element i)^2
  2. The pressure and the area of the element is used to calculate the equivalent force. Fi = Pi * Ai
  3. The equivalent force is distributed among all of the nodes on the element. f=Fi/n (?)

The math may be more complex that this simple example.

Message 3 of 3
thui930
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Right, thats what I thought.

I think I've debugged the issue. Currently, the Top surface is working fine and producing reasonable reaction forces on the airfoil. The issue I am having now is the lower surface. Its producing a force of 3.7kN.

Are there issues with using negative pressures?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report