Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate Sheets connected in 3d space

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
picoso_13
439 Views, 4 Replies

Plate Sheets connected in 3d space

Hello,

I have attached a picture to show the overall setup I am trying to model in ALGOR. I am not very familiar on modeling with gap or rigid elements. I am trying to use 2d elements to model a 3d model because I believe this should be easier than trying to import 3d cad models configure them and try to make contact points between all the parts.

What my real model is are two sheets (1 upper & 1 upper) that are both connected to four bars that frame around between the two sheets. The upper sheet will be loaded with pressure and therefore supported by the bars and reacted at the four corners where they would be restrained. The bottom should help out some and would expect it to take some loading and so what I want to do is use rigid, gap, or spring elements to connect the upper and lower sheets.

What I have successfully done is to model a sheet (plate elements) with the bars framing it (beam elements) fixed at the corners. This was pretty easy, but now I would like to see how much impact the bottom sheet has.

Well, any suggestion or different ways to approach this challenge will be appreciated.

IPO

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
zhuangs
in reply to: picoso_13

Are you using MES or Linear analysis?

@picoso_13 wrote:

Hello,

I have attached a picture to show the overall setup I am trying to model in ALGOR. I am not very familiar on modeling with gap or rigid elements. I am trying to use 2d elements to model a 3d model because I believe this should be easier than trying to import 3d cad models configure them and try to make contact points between all the parts.

What my real model is are two sheets (1 upper & 1 upper) that are both connected to four bars that frame around between the two sheets. The upper sheet will be loaded with pressure and therefore supported by the bars and reacted at the four corners where they would be restrained. The bottom should help out some and would expect it to take some loading and so what I want to do is use rigid, gap, or spring elements to connect the upper and lower sheets.

What I have successfully done is to model a sheet (plate elements) with the bars framing it (beam elements) fixed at the corners. This was pretty easy, but now I would like to see how much impact the bottom sheet has.

Well, any suggestion or different ways to approach this challenge will be appreciated.

IPO

Message 3 of 5
picoso_13
in reply to: zhuangs

I am using Static Stress with Linear Material Models.

Message 4 of 5
S.LI

I guess there are several ways to locate the impact on the bottom sheet.

1.) the axis forces in beam elements.

2.) the reaction forces on the constrain points of the bottom sheet.

3.) deformation and stress in the bottom sheet could provide more details.

Another point here is that shell/sheet elements in finite element analysis are not "2d Element" because every nodes here still need 3 coordinates.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 5 of 5
zhuangs

In the picture you attached, it is shown that the 4 nodes on the corner of bottom plate are fixed with bounary conditions.  In this case, the 4 line elements (beam, spring or truss) may not transfer the impact of the upper plate to the bottom plate, and only the inner line elements can transfer the impact to the botton plate.

-Shoubing

@picoso_13 wrote:

Hello,

IPO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report