Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
9msl1
393 Views, 2 Replies

Pin connection

Hello

As shown in the attached photo, I am trying to create pinned connections between the mounts on the top and bottom plates and the connecting rod.

There is a 0.1cm clearence between the rods and the mounting surface. 

I used the joint feature in multiphysics (that is that it fills the holes with trusses)

The problem is that I'm not sure what to input for the cross sectional area for the trusses (under element definintion of the joint) to model the system accurately.  If I set it to a large number (which would model an ideal pinned connection) the upper and lower plates will not vibrate as I expect them to.

Therefore what cross-sectional area should I use to accurately model a pin connection?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
9msl1
in reply to: 9msl1

Also, is there anything else that may do a better job? perhaps a bolt connection?

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: 9msl1

Hi 9 msl1,

I assume you are using one joint to connect two brackets together. I do not know any method to accurately represent a pin. Like you said, the best you can do is make a rigid pin.

I think you need to clarify what effect is loss in this situation. Then you can decide what alternative gives the best result. Another alternative is to use one pin joint per bracket. Then connect the 4 joints along the centerline with a beam element.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report