Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Percentage of x & y - convergence

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
acanfield
288 Views, 2 Replies

Percentage of x & y - convergence

Convergence.JPG

Hello

I found this graph thanks to google (& whoever created it!)

If I'm aiming for 3% convergence ie 3% change in the tip displacement how many extra nodes should of been added (3%? m- surely not)?

Is it a case of adding 50% more nodes or a 100% more?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: acanfield

If I am reading the graph correctly, the hexahedron linear elements have practically converged to within 3%:

change in displacement between last two iterations approximately = 0.001 units/4 = 0.00025 units

0.00025 units/0.008 units displacement * 100 = 3.1% change.

The tetra linear elements are still too far from converging to guess how many nodes are required to reach convergence. It could only require 50 additional nodes -- you just need to add them at the correct location. Smiley Wink

But the graph seems to be indicating to use quad elements, which I'm guessing would be the "with midside nodes" in Simulation Mechanical. The quad elements in the graph give accurate results regardless of how many nodes are in the model.

Message 3 of 3
acanfield
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hello John

After sleeping I can now answer my own question (I think!).

I didn't create the graph, just borrowed it to illustrate the issue.

My question was - how do know when you have reached a convergence of 3%?

I guess the answer is shown by the flatness of the curve as the curve is alway progressing to a flatline.

I was guessing there was a % change between the result & number of nodes used, there is but it's the curve that shows this.

Thanks

Andrew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report