Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One part is analyzed as (2) parts that share the same space

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
lemensk
425 Views, 1 Reply

One part is analyzed as (2) parts that share the same space

I made an inventor model (2012)  with an ipart I found on the web.  After I cleaned up my inventor model, I uploaded it to Simulation (2012) and performed a solid mesh.  Solid mesh failed; so I reverted to a plate mesh.  The model solved, BUT it is treating my iPart as (2) parts!  The only thing I can find is that Simluation takes the member to have 2x the amount of surfaces then it actually has.  I revisited my inventor model and I have not found any duplicate parts, just the one iPart.  Is there a way to address this issue?  Does Simulation have a "model merge" feature that eliminates "parts INSIDE of other parts?"  Has anyone experienced a similar failure?

Thanks

-Kenny

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: lemensk

Hi Kenny,

When you did the "plate" mesh, do you mean a midplane mesh? My guess is that you literally used the Plate/Shell mesh, so what you did is create plate elements on the "outside face" of the solid and on the "inside face" of the solid.

For example, a solid model of a simple rectangular slab (something thin and large in the other 2 dimensions) has 6 faces.

• If you mesh it using the Solid mesh option, the 6 faces are meshed, and then the volume is filled with solid elements.
  • If you use the Midplane mesh option, the result is one surface located at the mid-thickness of the slab.
  • If you use the Plate/Shell option, the 6 faces are meshed, resulting is 6 plate elements. Unless you are making a hollow box, this is normally wrong for a solid model. The Plate/Shell option is normally used with a surface model.

Also see the page "Model Mesh Settings" in the wiki help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report