Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshing fine Geometry

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Leonel16
309 Views, 4 Replies

Meshing fine Geometry

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone has spare time to help me figure out what is the best approach to successfully mesh this attached part?

This part represents an EMC(epoxy modling compound) that encapsulates my other materials. Being an encapsulation of different stacked layers of materials inside, it produce the curvature and creates fine geometry inside. I already tried several refinement and optimization, but Im still getting a very large amount of elements which crashing my station. To note that the size of my materials inside whould be at least 0.06mm. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Leonel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
arizawilmer
in reply to: Leonel16

I will suggesto to divide the partst with that you can apply different size to different elements.

Wilmer Ariza
Researcher Control and SI with AI for autonomous underwater vehicles
PhD student(Australian Maritime College-University of Tasmania)
Master of engineering (Advance Manufacturing Technology- Swinburne University of Technology)
Mechatronic Engineer
Message 3 of 5
KubliJ

I took a look a the model and found the reason for the very dense mesh.  There are many thin features compared to the overall model, but the cause for the meshing problems is due to some internal geometry.  I pulled the model into Inventor and looked at it with a slice plane.  I found some circular cutouts that are coplanar with an exterior surface.  This creates a very slender pointed shape that causes issues with the mesher.  I've attached screen shots showing the area of concern.

Slice View.JPGFine Point.JPG

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 4 of 5
Leonel16
in reply to: KubliJ

HI txfingenieria; thanks for the input.

Dear KubliJ;

Great!

I will find a way to fix this geometrical issue, this is the reason why im having watertight problem as well.

On your experience what is the best approach to successfully mesh all parts of my model including the internal geometry which some has a thickness of 0.12mm and 0.075mm, I am forcing to set it by 0.06mm on both parts but I am getting a very large amount of elements since size of 0.06mm affects the other materials mesh size an so on. I have tried automatic mesh refinement as well but Im still having a ver large amount of elements. I dont need a fine mesh on the EMC, what is the best approach?. Thank you.

Regards,

Leonel

Message 5 of 5
KubliJ

Hi Leonel,

Size is not the concern, but relative size.  You can easily mesh a model that is nanometers in size, the issue would be if you had dimensions that were relatively much larger (say mm).  The smaller geometry would have issues with the larger.  For your model you can try splitting parts into separate volumes in CAD before import and then use bonded contact to reconnect them in simulation.  With this approache you can assign different mesh densities to the various sections of the model and hopefully have better control and reduce the mesh count.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report