Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MES - Von Mises With Isotropic Hardening Material Model Shell Elements BUG 2014

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
scudelari
640 Views, 3 Replies

MES - Von Mises With Isotropic Hardening Material Model Shell Elements BUG 2014

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to perform a Nonlinear analysis on a rather simple shell model but there is a bug within the interface of the program.

BASIC INFO:

I am running Mechanical 2014 SP1 64Bits.

The part is a surface with the following setup:

2013-11-26 09_06_56-Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2014 - [FEA Editor - [Concept.fem]].png

In the Element Definition Dialog, I select:

2013-11-26 09_07_22-Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2014 - [FEA Editor - [Concept.fem]].png

Which basically is:

- Selecting Von Mises with Isotropic Hardening

- Inputting 37.5mm as the thickness of the plate

- I then hit OK

If I go back to the material definition, the thickness is weirdly defined as 1mm, ignoring my changes.

2013-11-26 09_08_42-Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2014 - [FEA Editor - [Concept.fem]].png

Can anyone please confirm whether this is a bug or not?

Things I have seen: 

1- If Isotropic is selected, the thickness of 37.5 is retained.

2- If Von Mises Curve With Isotropic Hardening is selected, the thickness of 37.5 is retained.

I also attached the very simple model so you guys can try it out.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
KubliJ
in reply to: scudelari

Hello,

I can confirm that this is a bug that we are aware of and are working on resolving.  There is no ETA on a fix; I can only recommend keeping Simulation up-to-date.  I apologize for the inconvience.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 3 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: KubliJ

There have been cases where the solver used the proper input even though the interface would show a "default" value when you re-edit the input. So the question for you scudelari is whether the results are based on a thickness of 1 or the value that you enter?

Message 4 of 4
scudelari
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hello John,

Unfortunatelly I have to say that the value does come back to 1mm after I close the first dialog. 

I checked it with the display element thickness in the Results environment.

As a work around - at least for my model it was possible for the 2D nature of the model - I selected element type 2D, which does work.

As I said, I also found out that with the Von Mises Curve it keeps the thickness value, therefore one may use that as a workaround for the time being.

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report