Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8
larb_10
783 Views, 7 Replies

MES Problems

Hi,

I am having a real problem trying to use MES. It was working initially for a model I created but crashed during on analyses. Since then I have not been able to get it to run again. The meshing engines run and then it flicks into the analyzing windows and then stops working.

I have tried repairing and reinstalling the software, this has not fixed the problem. I have also tried to run the tutorial model for MES that also did not run through. I have also tried to run the analysis from command line but that also doesn't work.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what I could try now? The linear static analyses etc are all working fine.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: larb_10

Hi,

We may need more information about what the analysis does do before it "then stops working". For example, does it show any new text in the log file? What text is shown when you tried to run it from the command line?

If you have the ability before the analysis crashes, be sure the drop down where you choose to view the log file or the convergence graph is set to the log file.

You could try running "REGALL.BAT" located in the installation folder (browse to the folder where you installed he software, right-click on regall.bat, and choose "Run as Administrator".)

Message 3 of 8
larb_10
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi John,

No, I don't have time to swap it to log file unfortunatly. I tried it a few times.

I've attached some pics below showing what happens.

MES Crash.JPG

MES Crash - Process Explorer.JPG

MES Crash - Resume.JPG

As you can see in the first image it crashes or hangs straight away when the Analyze window pops up.

I then found a hanging process in Windows process explorer. I hit resume on gcontact.exe and then got the error you see in the last picture. There is some progress on the status bar however.

I have also tried deleting all contacts and trying different sets to see if that helped.

Also tried running the regall.bat file. It had not effect, crashed the same.

Message 4 of 8
AstroJohnPE

Hi,

I do not know what the normal sequence is for gcontact, so I do not know if suspended is okay or not. Try to run the model that I have attached. (Change the extension from zip to ach after you save it to your hard disk.) If your analysis fails to run, I suggest that you contact technical support to see if they can troubleshoot your system. I would not know where to begin with finding the problem.

Message 5 of 8
larb_10

Hi,

Unfortuantly the model did fail to run. Again I couldn't change it to log mode.

I contacted support but as I am student using education version they do not provide individualized support. May have to try a system rebuild or a complete uninstall...

Message 6 of 8
AstroJohnPE

Wow, this is really strange. Since the problem occurs when running the analysis from a command line and after repairing and reinstalling the software, I wonder if the problem is related to something that was done to the computer (rather than to the software). For example,

1. Do you remember if any other software was installed between the time the MES analysis worked and it stopped working?
  2. Has  your administator privileges changed?
  3. Did you update any drivers? (Graphics, mouse, etc)

By the way, the log file can be viewed from the Report environment within the software, or by using My Computer/Windows Explorer to

• browse to the folder where the model is stored
  • go into the folder named "my model.ds_data" where "my model" is the name of the model.
  • go into the folder corresponding to the design scenario number.
  • The log file is named "ds.alg". Use Notepad to open it.

This gives me another idea. Try saving the model to a folder with a really short, simple name. For example, create a folder named "junk" in the C:\ root folder. Will the MES analysis run when the model is in this simple folder?

Message 7 of 8
larb_10

Hi John,

Yea, I agree it is really strange.

I did install Autodesk Simulation 360. But it goes through and registers either when I start it up. The MES model you sent me freezes when analyzing in Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013. It does however run in Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 360 2013...

The only computer change I have made is updating my BIOS to the latest version. I haven't changed drivers or admin rights. I also have SP2 installed in Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013.

I did try running the model from C:/ it still froze running within Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013.

Message 8 of 8
zhuangs

Could you please upload the ds.ldd file for me to investigate?

And what kinds of element type are you used in your model?  Tet, brick, etc.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report