Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
MattKurtze5538
408 Views, 4 Replies

Load Envelopes

Hello All

I mainly perform FEA on silos to the AS bulk loading code.  This requires MANY load case combinations of bulk/friction/EQ/wind ect.

Currently i am setting up each load case as a separate DS then creating the combinations in separate file.

What i want to do then is combine all load case combinations from that fine into an envelope case. ie superimposing the combinations (without adding them) and displaying the max results from all combinations in one results window.  This allows me to easily see is there are any issues without having to individually check 20 combinations.

I was able to easily do this in my previous package, Strand7.  Is there a way to do it with autodesk.

Regards 

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: MattKurtze5538

Hi Matt,

When you wrote "each load case as a separate DS then creating the combinations in separate file", it is not clear if you are manually creating the combinations in a separate file, or are you using the command "Results Options > Other > Tools > Combine Load Cases"?

Assuming that you are performing a linear static stress analysis, the "Combine Load Cases" command will "merge" the results from multiple analyses into one model. The "merged" results can either be added together, or put into separate load cases within the merged model, or any combination of the two. So I think this is what you want to do, correct?

• model 1 results --> merged model load case 1
  • model 3 results --> merged model load case 2
  • model 18 results --> merged model load case 3
  • model n results --> merged model load case LAST

When viewing the results of "merged model", you can switch between the different load cases by using the "Load Case Options" panel (located on "Results Contours", "Results Inquire", and "Results Options" tabs.). In this regards, it is somewhat like using different design scenarios, but using multiple load cases is more efficient for switching between the different results.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 5
MattKurtze5538
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello John

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the 'Combine Load Cases' command.  This works as advertised.

It sums the results of multiple design senarios. 

What I want to do is 'superimpose' the results of multiple design senarios, without adding them.  The envelope case would looks at the results from diffenent DS and display a model that shows the higest stress/displacement at each node.

ie if point A had stress of '1' in DS 1, '2' in DS 2 and '4' in DS 3. the envelope would display '4'

if point B had stress of '6' in DS 1, '2' in DS 2 and '0.5' in DS 3 the envelope would display '6'

I hope I have made myself clearer.

regards

Matt

Message 4 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: MattKurtze5538

Thanks Matt. That makes it very clear. We do not have such a capability at this time. Perhaps someone out there has a utility that can do that and would be willing to share it with others.

So that I know what we need to design, would you also want to know which model the maximum occurred at each node? Displaying a contour plot of the "envelope" in your example would show point A with a value of 4, point B with a value of 6, and so on. Would you also want to be able to display a contour or inquire on the points to see that point A's result came from DS3, point B's result came from DS1, and so on?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 5

Thanks John

That would be very useful, though probably not essential.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report