Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Parametrized Simulation

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
scudelari
947 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor Parametrized Simulation

Hello Everyone!

My model consists of an Inventor part that I want to have simulated in Simulation. This model will be used several times with different parameters. Therefore, the natural solutiuon is to use parameters stored in Excel. 

But they don´t appear in Autodesk Simulation (I mean in that Inventor Parameters Dialog). 

Why?

Note though that only ine parameter appears. Why just that single one? 

I have linked parameters and some user parameters. None of them works.

Is there a way to make them appear in Simulation? 

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hupn
in reply to: scudelari

Hi,

Parametric study is not supported for Autodesk Mechanical simulation yet for official release. That's why that no parameter setup available (like the inventor parameters dialog). There is a new technology preview with parametric study feature on Autodesk Lab http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/scout/overview/. You may want to try it. Another workaround is to launch Autodesk Mechanical Simulation from inventor and you can go back to inventor to change the parameter and the change will be pushed back automatically for you. The drawback is that you need to do it one by one without automation,

hup

Message 3 of 9
Joey.X
in reply to: hupn

If you have SIM MP V2012 installed, you can do manually Parametrized simulation inside Simulation Multiphysics for Inventor CAD parameters, I guess this your original question.

- Goto menu/mesh/Inventor parameters/change Inventor parameters as you want, re-run your model

And the tech preview provides an option to run parametric study in batched automated fashion, which was mentioned in hupn's post.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 4 of 9
scudelari

Hello Everyone,

I deeply appreciate your answer, but I guess you didn't quite understand my problem. I had downloaded the Tech Preview and my problem still exists with that version.

Here is a picture of my inventor model's parameters:

invParams.png

To start the simulation process, I go to the Inventor's Add-In tab and I click on "Start Simulation". This obviously opens the Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2012.

It loads the model and here is what I get from the simulator's parameters screen:

simParams.png

As far as I had understood, all the inventor's params should appear in this screen, right?

What am I doing wrong? Why don't they show?

I am using an external Excel table to manage the parameters.

Thanks a lot!

Message 5 of 9
Joey.X

Could you post your CAD model?

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 6 of 9
scudelari

Sure I can.

There you go.

I am using Simulation Mechanical 2012.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for the assistance 🙂

Sorry for Zipping the xlsx, but the extension is not allowed....

Message 7 of 9
John_Holtz

My guess is that that Inventor stores the parameters read from Excel in a different manner than the ones created in Inventor. Simulation was not programmed to look for parameters from Excel (as far as I know), so that is why you do not see them in Simulation.

I do not recall if Inventor can sort their parameters or not. If there were a way to view the original order (first created, first in the list), my guess is that the one parameter that is shown in Simulation is the first parameter in Inventor, then the second parameter is from Excel. Or perhaps your model only has one parameter that is not in Excel?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 8 of 9
scudelari
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello AstroJohn,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the parameters are differently stored, but I can't find the reason why that one parameter appears and the others don't.

The parameters d5 is not the first parameter in the list, and if you take a look on the list from Simulation, the equation is a value that comes from Excel....

Message 9 of 9
Joey.X

In Inventor, open your ipt file even using skipping excel file, go to/Manage/Parameter(Fx), touch your parameter(s), save ipt model. 

In Simulation MP, open .ipt file, go to mesh/Inventor parameter, you will see the touched parameter recognized in simulation.11-29-2011 2-24-01 PM.png

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report