Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Models containing Welds

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
nosborne
475 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor Models containing Welds

I have a weldment consisting of an assortment of plate steel welded together. I would like to model the plates with a small (0.010") gap between them and have the load transferred through the welds rather than have the plates merge into one solid. My Inventor model has the welds in it currently. When transferred to Simulation will the welds be meshed properly or do I need to model the welds in Inventor as a sweep or extrude feature? Any help on this topic would be appreciated as I have very little experience with the Inventor/Simulation data connection.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
scudelari
in reply to: nosborne

From my own experience, you will have problems with the welds if two separated welds end up having the same part number in simulation.

You won't be able to mesh properly. I was oblidged to create, as you said, the welds as sweep or extrude....

Sincerely,

Message 3 of 3
randymusk
in reply to: scudelari

I do a lot of fabricated structures so I have some questions too. First is I'm trying to mesh the plates without welds as bonde, but the mesh between plates doesn't match, only each plate meshes individualy.

If I add fillet welds which is ideal, I need to extrude a sketch instead of using the weld command which is okay. But, how do I get theses to mesh since its the same problem as the plates.

I would love to see stresses in fillet welds.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report