Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquire element stresses

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sladisch
610 Views, 7 Replies

Inquire element stresses

Hi @all!

I'm quite new to Autodesk Simulation Mechanical and now i'm facing my first Problem.

How can I inquire element stresses (not nodal stresses) for one single element? If i choose one Element an click "inquire rersults" the window is empty. When I choose a node and say "inquire results" I can see the stress of all Elements connected to the node. But I want to have only the single result for the Element.

Does anybody knows a solution for that?

Best Regards from Germany

Stefan Ladisch

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: sladisch

Hi Stefan,

You can turn off (unhighlight) the command "Results Contours > Settings > Smooth Results" to get the element results.

Message 3 of 8
sladisch
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi John,

with your method I can only see the results from multiple elements. But I need the results for a specific element. And the way to inquire the element number and then looking into the result list of the node isn't suitable because I'm  trying to automate my postprocessing using AutoIt.

Best Regards

Stefan

Message 4 of 8
AstroJohnPE

Hi Stefan,

Can you elaborate on the problem?

1. When you wrote "I can only see the results from multiple elements", do you mean that when you are in "Select > Selection > Element" mode and click on an element, you cannot select just one element?
  2. To specify a specific element, you can use the "Results Inquire > Inquire > Element Information" command and click the "Specify..." button. This will let you select the specified element. After it is selected, you can then inquire on the results.

Message 5 of 8
sladisch

Hi John,

to 1) When I'm in the "element-selection-mode" I can select a single element. That's not the problem.

to 2) When I select one specific element an inquire the element information I get information about node numbers, element number and so on. But when I click "inquire results" I get an allmost empty window which only says "current load case = 1". That is my main problem.

What I was trying to show is, that  if I inquire nodal results and the smoothing is turned off. I can see the elemental results for each element which shares this node. But it seems not possible to inquire these results for one single element.

Stefan

Message 6 of 8
AstroJohnPE

You are right! I remembered seeing the message in the Inquire Results dialog to "select a node or element" when you have nothing selected. But I must not have tried using the element selection in this type of situation.

Other than reading the binary result files directly, this is the only other idea that comes to mind.

1. Use the "Inquire Element > Specify" to select the element of interest.
  2. After it is selected, use the "Select Subentities > Nodes" to select the nodes on the element.
  3. Inquire on the results. Like you said, it will list the result for all elements connected to the node.
  4. You will need to ignore the information from the other elements and keep the result from the element of interest.

Another possibility might be the principle stresses. If you display the vector result, I do not remember if it displays the result at the element centrode or at the nodes.

Message 7 of 8
sladisch

I think I will try to access the result files directly. I have some few programming skills. I remember that I read something about an open file structure. I already found the option to include elemental stresses in the result file. Now I need to find the right file and figure out how to read out the stresses.

Thank you very much John!

I'm sure I'll be back soon with the next question.

Stefan

Message 8 of 8
sladisch

Hi,

reading the *.dbf-files leads only to the nodal displacements. John, you mentioned that one possibility is to access the binary files to inquire the elemental stresses. Can you please give me some hints how to access those files or where I can find more detailed information?

Regards

Stefan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report