Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Inventor models into Algor

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
eulerlipsia
900 Views, 9 Replies

Importing Inventor models into Algor

I need to import an inventor 2011 model (only geometry) made by surfaces (not solids) into algor 2011. The inventor model is made by an inventor assembly model (foo.iam) and many inventor parts (foo?.ipt). When, from algor, i try to open the *.iam file i get the message "No parts to import in Inventyor model".

Does this mean that Inventor parts should be made  only by solids?

It is worth to note that when i try to import an inventor model made by solids  i have no problems!

thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

I have had some problems with this in the past, but in the 2011 version of Algor I haven't encountered any problems.

Have you made sure that they are visible? Deselecting "Visibility" in Inventor will exclude them from the import into Algor.

Message 3 of 10
nmt
Advocate
in reply to: eulerlipsia

Hi, I have also ran into the same problem when using assembly files with surfaces.

If you instead are able to use a single part model consisting of several features, one for each surface you would be fine.

Regards / Håkan N.

Message 4 of 10
eulerlipsia

Well, i already have Algor 2011, and inventor 2011 but the problem persist. As soon as possible i will try the one part multiple features (surfaces ) option.

thank you.

Message 5 of 10

Hmm, disregard my earlier post, it seems I have the problem when using assemblies, too. Not parts, though.

This model is too complicated to just make in one part, though.

Message 6 of 10

Hm, converting the assy to STEP and opening it directly seems to do the trick.

Message 7 of 10
eulerlipsia

Thank you Bjorn. Yes exporting in step or iges (with the option "trimmed surface") does the work, but it is astonishing that 2 Autodesk products need to pass through a third part format!!

Message 8 of 10
eulerlipsia
in reply to: nmt

Hi Bjorn, this is to confirm that the one part-multiple surfaces  inventor model is correctly imported into algor. Thank you again.

Message 9 of 10

Thanks. I guess we'll just have to wait for Autodesk to fix the assembly problem, then.

Message 10 of 10
944brandt
in reply to: bjorn_fallqvist

Has there been a proper solution to this problem yet?  Working around the issue by saving as a step or iges file is not a true solution.

Autodesk?  Have addressed this issue because I am currently struggling the exact same problem?  Assembly models using shells/plate to not import into algor properly. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report