Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import 2D sketches from Inventor

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jones79
1659 Views, 2 Replies

Import 2D sketches from Inventor

Hello!

I need to do calculations on a 2D model. Since I am familiar to draw sketches using Inventor and it is much more comfortable than drawing sketches using Simulation, I would like to import the sketches from Inventor.

Which is the best way to do this? I read about exporting models to dwg or dxf files and something IGES was mentioned, too. But I would like to know which is the easiest way 🙂

And is there a possibility to export e.g. common faces from an Inventor assembly to a sketch containing different parts?

Kind regards,

Walter

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jones79
in reply to: jones79

Ok, I figured out how to do it. Here is the solution:

The drawing can be done in Inventor completly. Then export the face of a 3d-model or a 2d-sketch to a DXF or DWG file. (Right-click > Export...).

Importing is done using Open > DXF or DWG. In the same dialog click Options and activate "Drawing is 2-D" and "Transform to YZ Plane (for 2-D elements)"

Easy going. After I figuered it out myself, I found the right page in the wiki 🙂

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Autodesk_Simulation/enu/2012/Help/0089-Open_Mod89/0092-Open_CAD92/0098-...

Kind regards,

Walter

Message 3 of 3
Alan_H
in reply to: jones79

That method works (some of the time).  I'm currently trying to figure out how oo export multiple sections at the same time (from an assembly).  I've used this method successfully for single parts; however, for the multipy part application the Inventor to Autocad export is causing multiple duplicate and eroneous lines to appear in the autocad.dwg file.

The method I was attempting to use was as follows:

1. Assemble the various extrusions such that they are all co-planer on one end.
  2. Create a new part based on the end of a single extrusion
  3. In the new part create a sketch that references all the edge geometry from all the other parts
      (I did it this way so I could have a section in a assembly all by itself)
  4. Export out the Sketch as a drawing by right clicking on the sketch in the model browser

Unfurtunately, the resulting Autocad file has a lot of useless junk in it.  There needs to be a way to directly export 2D data to Simulation (or at least fix the autocad export).

Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report