Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMPORTING STEP FILES FROM IV PROFESSIONAL 2014

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
m.granata
494 Views, 4 Replies

IMPORTING STEP FILES FROM IV PROFESSIONAL 2014

Hello,

I have a question regarding importing solid model step files from IV Professional 2014.  My dealer gave me a 30 day trial copy of Autodesk Simulation 2013 to see if it would function better than my old Algor V22 for the FEA work I am doing.  So far it does seem to operate better.  But for my work the performance improvements seem to be related to how the step files are imported.  Using the same step file and identical import settings, no surface knitting, use step file units, etc., both the Simulation 2013 and Algor V22 divide the surfaces differently.  I have attached a jpg file of each.  Because of the different surface divisions the Simulation 2013 package creates a better mesh resulting in fewer to no singularities.  It is very frustrating because any meshing and singularity issues that arise with my old Algor V22 package seem to stem from the surface divisions of the imported step file.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:  1)  Why are the imported step file surfaces different between software packages?  2)  Are there settings anywhere I can manipulate?  3)  I am not familiar with step file protocol.  Did something change in the last several years with step file protocol?  4)  Is there an alternate generic solid model format that may also work?

Any input is helpfull and appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Mike,

I think this is due to the change in the geometry kernel that they implemented back in version 2013. Sim Mech now uses Autodesk Shape Manager which is the same with Autodesk Inventor, hence, better communication with Inventor and .ipt files.  I don't think you can use the old geometry kernel again. Other than STEP, you may import IGES files as well.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 3 of 5

Hi Mike,

I think this is due to the change in the geometry kernel that they implemented back in version 2013. Sim Mech now uses Autodesk Shape Manager which is the same with Autodesk Inventor, hence, better communication with Inventor and .ipt files. I don't think you can use the old geometry kernel again. Other than STEP, you may import IGES files as well.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  So from what you said, the use of Autodesk's Shape Manager is also effecting the import of the step files even though I am importing step files and not IV ipt or iam files in either FEA package?  I don't doubt that could be.  It's just frustrating.  I accept additional features, user interface, improved meshing algorithm, etc. to be incorporated into a newer version,  but an improvement of step file importing caught me off guard.

I tried importing IGES files and it does divide the surfaces as in Simulation 2013.  However, I guess the geometry is too complex and regardless of what settings I use the resulting imported file has either missing or damages surfaces on the horns that extend from the side.  Since my old Algor V22 contains the IV extension to import IV 2009 files, I am wondering if installing my old copy of IV 2009 on another machine and using that solely to create these models for FEA my work better?  It's a step backwards, but, any thoughts on that?

Best Regards,

Mike  

Message 5 of 5

Yes you can use your old Algor to import the STEP files and have the geometry exactly as it was, then open the .fem file in a newer version of Simulation Mechanical to use it. You'll have your familiar geometry in the newer version. However, this would certainly slow down your workflow if you need to make changes to your geometry.

The shift to ASM from the legacy geometry kernel (IMO) is intended to improve the geometry that comes into Simulation Mechanical from Inventor. Now that they use the same kernel, there should be no losses in translation when taking in .ipt or .iam files. Model it in Inventor and transfer it straight away into Simulation Mechanical without mediating via STEP format. This is the best option IMO.

Regards

Ilyas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report