Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/O errors in Algor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bjorn_fallqvist
556 Views, 6 Replies

I/O errors in Algor

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else have experienced problems with an Input/Output error message in Algor? It has happened to me a few times (thankfully not that often), and it always occurs after the first iteration of the non-linear solver. I realize that this may not be something specific to Algor, but it would be a huge time-saver if someone could give me a hint on how to handle it. I usually don't have any choice but to remake the entire model, because the problem doesn't go away (tried running on several computers, archiving/unpacking etc).

Suggestions?

Thanks

Björn

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
zhuangs
in reply to: bjorn_fallqvist

Hi,

First of all, I want to know which version of Algor you are using.

Second, did you check the disk space is big enough?  I know I/O error happes if the disk space is not large enough and the model is huge.

Third, did you rerun the model a few times to check? I encounters I/O errors a few time on Windows 7.

If possible, please attach the log file (ds.alg) for detailed investigation.

-zhuangs

Message 3 of 7
bjorn_fallqvist
in reply to: zhuangs

Hi,

I am using Algor 2011 professional (without SP1). It seems the model started working when I deleted some refinement points. I guess it was too big, somehow. Disk space shouldn't have been an issue (I had over 900GB free).

Best regards

Björn

Message 4 of 7
S.LI

How big is the model when I/O error happens, such as total number of nodes, elements or equations?

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 5 of 7
bjorn_fallqvist
in reply to: S.LI

It was roughly 1.2 million DoFs. I've run bigger models than that before, without problems. I guess I've been lucky, though...

Message 6 of 7
S.LI

The biggest model I have run is around 16M DOFs, and I also run a lot around 6M and 3M DOFs.

I don't remember that I have been bothered by this I/O problem.

I guess it really depends on system settings, such as disk space/speed, memory size, system file I/O buffer size etc.

anyway, good luck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 7 of 7
zhuangs

It may be a kind of random error.  On my Window 7 machine, not on Window XP machine,  I once found I/O errors for some models (DOFs<50000).  But when running these models again, I/O error is gone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report