Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to simulate expansion joint within ALGOR

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
numikon
637 Views, 4 Replies

How to simulate expansion joint within ALGOR

Hi all!

I have one problem. I have to model and simulate expansion joint between two parts of duct modeled with shell elements. I would like to model expansion with beam elements. Two beams connected together at one node where all the stiffnesses must be defined. This is possible in application for pipe stress analysis, but how to do this in ALGOR? Any suggestion?

Basicali I would like to connect two beams together but with possibility to define all the stiffnesses between these two elements.

Thank you in advance!

Zdravko

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bannecke
in reply to: numikon
Message 3 of 5
numikon
in reply to: bannecke

thank you for your quick answer. But with gaps I can simulate only axial stiffness of the expansion joint. But how I can simulate rotation stiffness (bending and torsion)? This is main problem.

Regards,

Zdravko

Message 4 of 5
bannecke

Hi,

what about using shell elements for the joint, too. Then try discretize the stiffness with the material properties?

But I am not an expert for this topic, so maybe s.o. from the staff has a more helpfull approach...

Regards

Boris

Message 5 of 5
xli
Alumni

Hi,

You seem asking the similar capability as dealing with three translational DOFs of contact or gap element nodes for rotational DOFs, which you call (rotational) expansion joint. If my understanding is incorrect, please ignore me here.

Unfortunately, A-Sim does not afford such capability now. If you are only interesting in one particular such kind joint, I would suggest you model join structure in very details using solid elements, and at that level simulate structure's rotation and associated contact by traditional contacts/gaps. Well, if you are only interested join's global effects or have massive of them and want whole structure simulated, it is a limitation now. I hope this helps.

-xli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report