Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set beam-solid contact

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bjorn_fallqvist
1105 Views, 10 Replies

How to set beam-solid contact

As the title says, how do I set surface contact between beam/truss elements and solids? I remember doing so previously, but simply selecting the parts and choosing "surface contact" between them and then using "contact settings", the "line/truss element-based contact settings" is not available in the dialogue box.

Is there something specific I should think about when trying to define this type of contact?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
S.LI
in reply to: bjorn_fallqvist

As you said, the contact between beam and solid could be generated as surface-to-surface contact. But the specific cross-section won't be counted here, which means "surface" on beam side is just the line between two nodes no matter what the cross-sections are (round, I-shape, c-shape).

I'm not familiar with the setting for " line-based" contact. I think that means truss elements will be generated for simulating contact-pairs. This is totally different with surface-surface contact.

@bjorn_fallqvist wrote:

As the title says, how do I set surface contact between beam/truss elements and solids? I remember doing so previously, but simply selecting the parts and choosing "surface contact" between them and then using "contact settings", the "line/truss element-based contact settings" is not available in the dialogue box.

Is there something specific I should think about when trying to define this type of contact?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 11
bjorn_fallqvist
in reply to: S.LI

I know, but the option wasn't even there to choose from when I first defined the contact. It appeared when I removed and redefined the contact, though. Strange.

Message 4 of 11
zhuangs

In MES surface contact, there are no beam-solid, beam-beam contact types.  If you want to simulated beam-solid contact using MES surface contact, you have to select those beams (lines) which might in contact and define a surface, and then select this surface and the surfaces on the solid part to define a contact pair.  Note that there is on setting which should be noticed: "Beam/Truss Element Point Contact", which can be found in "Analysis Parameters - Controls and Parameters for Contact Pair" panel.

Note that the geometry of beam is not considered, but you can use user-defined contact distance to account for the geometry (thickness, etc).  However, this method might not be able to handle all the cases well.

-Shoubing

Message 5 of 11
bjorn_fallqvist
in reply to: zhuangs

Yes, that's what I was wondering about, it seemed like that option had disappeared, but now it seems to work.

To be specific, the dialogue box I am talking about is the one in the attached picture. It doesn't always appear. It also only seems to work if I select the part and make the entire parts being in contact.

What setting are you mentioning, Shoubing? I cannot find any such setting in the analysis parameters dialogue box.

Message 6 of 11
zhuangs

This setting only appears for a contact pair which has one or two sufaces consist of beam elements.  There is other setting, only shown for a contact pair with shell element.

In the future, we might need to optimize these settings.

-Shoubing

Message 7 of 11
bjorn_fallqvist

Yes, but it doesn't always appear as it should. I just had the same problem again, and when I redefined the contact, the option was there.

Message 8 of 11
zhuangs

If a contact pair has no beam/truss included, this option should not appear.  Otherwise, it should always appear.  If this is not true in your model.  You can provide your model, we can investigate the issue.  Thanks.

-Shoubing

Message 9 of 11
bjorn_fallqvist

Zhuang,

Please find attached an archive file. The last two surface contact pairs are between a beam element and a solid element surface. However, that option does not appear. Is there something that I'm doing wrong here?

Björn

Message 10 of 11
zhuangs

Well.  Your original model does not show that setting.  I am wondering whether this is related to the surface definition for beam part.  What we usually do like this:

(1)    Select the beams which might be in contact area and right click;

(2)    Select “Edit attributes” and just input a surface number.

(3)    Define the contact pair using this newly defined surface.

I just do like the three procedures, and that setting show for the two contact pairs with beam element.  Note that I test it on Version 2012, and Version 2011 should be similar.

-Shoubing

Message 11 of 11

That's precisely the way I did it...but it seems to be that the first time, it doesn't show. The second time I do it, the setting does show. Strange.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report