Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set Orbit: Rotate on Model Center as the default behavior?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
5048 Views, 4 Replies

How to set Orbit: Rotate on Model Center as the default behavior?

Everytime I rotate a model it disappears off my screen.  This because the rotation center of the orbit is not set to "Rotate on Model Center" by default.  How do get the Orbit default behaviour to be " Rotate on Model Center?"

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joey.X
in reply to: Anonymous

The rotating center is based on the origin of global coordinate system in your CAD model rather than the model center. In other words, if you have offset your model far away from origin of global coordinate system, it may disappear off the screen. I did not see any option to change rotating center to object center.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 3 of 5
John_Holtz

HI ja,

Joey's reply was correct that there is no way to set the default rotation center to always be the center of the model. But there are numerous ways to control what point the model rotates about.

1. If you rotate the mouse wheel to zoom in or out, the center point is moved to the closest node under the cursor (or to the imaginary drawing plane if not close to a node).
  2. Use the Navigation Bar or ribbon command "View > Navigate > Set Pivot Point".
  3. While in rotation mode ("View > Orbit > Orbit"), right-click and choose "Rotate on Vertex" or "Rotate on Model Center".

Also, hold the X, Y, or Z key down while rotating the model to restrain the rotation to the X, Y, Z axis through the rotation point.

Note that holding the <Ctrl> key down while zooming in or out with the mouse wheel will not move the pivot point to the cursor's location. So if you can remember to do that all the time, the pivot point should remain "fixed" for rotation.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks you for your information.  I just want you to know getting a reply on these forums is a luxury because I am not sure who even looks.  So again thank you.

The final word is that the problem is actually a graphics driver issue.  I am not sure why it caused the Auodesk Simulation Software to behave weird but it does. 

I design plastic parts so the center of gravity of every part is very close to the origin.  However, the software was not rotating about origin or the center of gravity.  The rotation point was very far off the part.

Again thanks for your input. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Being able to specify the orbit option one uses most as a default is a good enhancement. Ease of navigation within the graphic region eliminates one additional piece of information a user has to carry around, not to mention adds the additional layer of consistency within Autodesk products. See attached.

My $0.02.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report