Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move node

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
rlkillian
1434 Views, 6 Replies

How to move node

I was trying to move a vertex so I selected it and right clicked in the display area just like help says.  Problem is move is not highlighted (ie; showing but not available to pick).  What gives? This is a simple model with beam elements. I'm certainly not an expert in Simulation but it doesn't seem like it should be difficult at all to move a vertex. (Are nodes in vertices synonymous in Simulation parlance?) Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi, I think that you might have accidentally selected a construction vertex. Try turning off the visibility of the construction vertices via View>Visibility>Construction Vertices. Then select the vertex that you want to move and the Point Move command should no longer be greyed out for you to use. Alternatively, while nothing is selected yet, you should be able to click on Point Move first followed by selecting the vertex that you want to move. 

Regards

Ilyas

Message 3 of 7

OK, I'm halfway there. You were right. I turned off construction vertices then selected a node and was able to move it. Then I selected 8 nodes at once and right clicked but move was greyed out! Help clearly says you can move multiple vertices yet I don't seem to be able to make it happen. More ideas?

BTW, I don't understand enough about construction vertices to understand their purpose but it seems very odd to me that you can't move them. Just to let you know, this model came from an AutoCad drawing.

Message 4 of 7
Sualp.Ozel
in reply to: rlkillian

To be clear, “Nodes” are points at the end of a mesh line. So you need to have created a mesh to move a node.

1) go to "selection" tab in the ribbon, click on "vertices" within the Select panel

2) select multiple vertices on the canvas using "Ctrl" key on the keyboard

3)  go to "Draw" tab in the ribbon, click on "Point Move" within the "modify" panel

4) Activate the "use relative" command to move them relative to their current location in space

5) type a value in DX, DY, and or DZ

6) hit enter on your keyboard

You cannot move construction objects  / construction points, you can create new ones at new coordinates.

Message 5 of 7
rlkillian
in reply to: Sualp.Ozel

OK, I see what's happening but I don't understand why. I was windowing around a group of nodes, two of which had constraints. Even with "Loads and Constraints" turned off it still picked the constraints along with the nodes. When this happens move is greyed out. When I used ctrl to pick multiple nodes as opposed to windowing no constraints were picked so move was available.

In my opinion, you should be able to window nodes with constraints and move them. I hope you will pass that along to the developers.

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
Sualp.Ozel
in reply to: rlkillian

Don't forget that under "selection" tab in the ribbon there is an option to Filter out the selection of loads and constraints

its within the "filters" tab "filter" drop down, "loads and constraints" button

If you filter out the loads /constraints from your selection group, you should still have access to "point move" with a window select.

This is how the software has been designed.

Message 7 of 7
rlkillian
in reply to: Sualp.Ozel

OK, got it, thanks. As far as that being how it is designed, I would challenge y'all to rethink that one. I've used a lot of FEA programs and never had to jump through hoops (OK, that's a hyperbole) to move a supported joint.

Think about it from the users point of view. I select a group of nodes, a few of which has constraints. So what? Just move the nodes that way I don't have to be bothered with filtering out constraints. I would be interested to hear the argument for doing the way you do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report